Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 17, 2006, 1:16 PM   #11

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
zzzzzzzilch! Mind bogglingly absent of anything artistic... What else ya got?:idea:
KD,

I appreciate your honesty, but you could have chosen your words a lot more carefully. I don't go around saying other peoples photos have absolutely no artistic merit whatsoever, and think that is a very rude way of putting your opinion across. I'm all for honest critique good natured send-ups and , but your comment doesn't really come in that category. Take a minute or two to look at the forum guidelines again, you don't have to look that hard, it's the first thing you see:

" No matter how bad you think something posted actually is, do not flame or deride the author."

In answer to your question...what else have I got?

A ****load of work to do, and wanting to squeeze some photography in when time and the lovely UK weather allows.

As for other photos:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90

for one. Hope that might meet your high expectations a little bit better.

-B

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 1:17 PM   #12

Hards80s_BodyDouble wrote:
Quote:
"i agree... getting offand/or getting a less straight on shot would be more interesting.. don't be afraid to take several shots from different angles and with different placements in the frame.. then go back through them and see what you like and don't like.. its a good learning tool..

cheers
dustin" originally Posted: Sun Mar 5th, 2006 12:42 pm
Whoever this is, that was brilliant!

Syd, is that you? ::grins::

:blah:

Thanks for cheering me up.

-B
Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:55 PM   #13

oBSidian wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
zzzzzzzilch! Mind bogglingly absent of anything artistic... What else ya got?:idea:
KD,

I appreciate your honesty, but you could have chosen your words a lot more carefully. I don't go around saying other peoples photos have absolutely no artistic merit whatsoever, and think that is a very rude way of putting your opinion across. I'm all for honest critique good natured send-ups and , but your comment doesn't really come in that category. Take a minute or two to look at the forum guidelines again, you don't have to look that hard, it's the first thing you see:

" No matter how bad you think something posted actually is, do not flame or deride the author."

In answer to your question...what else have I got?

A ****load of work to do, and wanting to squeeze some photography in when time and the lovely UK weather allows.

As for other photos:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90

for one. Hope that might meet your high expectations a little bit better.

-B

Hey man

i totally agree with wat you are getting at here. we are all here to learn.

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:14 PM   #14

Hmmmmmm.....my apologies...eveyone. Just an honest appraisal and no intent to anger or leave a bad impression. I always have a dificult time explaining my opinion when I see a shot that I think is lacklustre. (No trouble dissing my own tho...) So, hopefully I can improve that delivery, and say what I want to say without coming across as rude.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 4:05 PM   #15

Back to being artsy:

Here was a few minutes with picasa to play around with that image. I'm sure Ben won't mind. Not that I think this really brought it out much more. Just continuing the general artsy theme.

Makes me think of a push button.
Attached Images

JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 4:22 PM   #16

oBSidian wrote:
Quote:
Hards80s_BodyDouble wrote:
Quote:
"i agree... getting offand/or getting a less straight on shot would be more interesting.. don't be afraid to take several shots from different angles and with different placements in the frame.. then go back through them and see what you like and don't like.. its a good learning tool..

cheers
dustin" originally Posted: Sun Mar 5th, 2006 12:42 pm
Whoever this is, that was brilliant!

Syd, is that you? ::grins::

:blah:

Thanks for cheering me up.

-B

Sorry, I can't take the credit for this one . . . has got me wondering who it is too . . .
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 4:42 PM   #17

Can't say this registers any differently than the original, for me. (I'm keeping in line with the original poster who enocourages us to comment away) Again, there's detail in the macro, but....and this is not a serious issue...so don't get upset, the artistic merit escapes me here as much as the first one. Are you trying for abstract, symmetry, contrast...to convey artistic impression? I see some degree of each there, but I must be honest, I'm still drawing a blank. It's a different blank than the first one, but still a blank.(Please don't get cranky, if I thought this was a major work of art I'd be praising it thoroughly.) Obisdian...you left the meat of the message out and by what else ya got...I meant exactly that...have you done any others...? This is a critiques forum. And my opinion is only my opinion, not a condemnation, at all. Surely you have come across "art" from time to time that just boggles your mind and leaves you scratching your head wondering what on earth there is that's redeeming about it. That's the (in a minor way) impression I get at times looking at work in this topic. Conveying that impression in a non aggravating way is a delicate bit of work. Perhaps you can help me interpret what it is that's artfully appealing with the first shot, I'm always eager to learn.:!::-)

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:36 PM   #18

Come on Syd! You signature is all over the place.:G :G :G

Regards.

Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 6:33 AM   #19

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Obisdian...you left the meat of the message out and by what else ya got...I meant exactly that...have you done any others...? This is a critiques forum. And my opinion is only my opinion, not a condemnation, at all. Surely you have come across "art" from time to time that just boggles your mind and leaves you scratching your head wondering what on earth there is that's redeeming about it. That's the (in a minor way) impression I get at times looking at work in this topic. Conveying that impression in a non aggravating way is a delicate bit of work. Perhaps you can help me interpret what it is that's artfully appealing with the first shot, I'm always eager to learn.:!::-)

Kd
KD,

It wasn't what you said in your first response that irritated me, but the way you said it. I am perfectly happy to admit that this isn't a great photo, and of course I expect criticism when I put it up in a critiques forum, but when you start off your comment in the way that you did, it immediately turns me off to any constructive criticism you come up with later in the same post. I can see that you didn't mean to offend, because the rest of your comment didn't have the tone of someone having a dig. Fact remains though, that something like "zzzilch - mind bogglingly absent of anything artistic" could be said in a far more thoughtful, less rude manner and still get your point across perfectly well. I'm done being irritated now :-)

I have indeed come across the 'head-scratching' moments both on this forum, and when looking at 'serious art'. Over here in the UK, the annual spectre of the Turner Prize has 90% of the country saying: 'I could do that' - and in most cases, as with a lot of modern art IMHO, they could. I think any form of art should require skill as a prerequisite - an acknowledgement that it takes practice and dedication to become good at it. I don't subscribe to the idea that is bandied about these days 'anyone can make great art' - I think that has led to a lot mediocrity, not because people shouldn't be encouraged to take up art, but because it tends to end up in people thinking art doesn't take any effort, and that they can immediately be good at it. Then the likes of the turner prize judges reinforce that, and so the mediocre spiral continues. This is turning into an opinion piece, lol, but I just wanted to say I know where you're coming from, and the bemused feeling that we all sometimes get.

Regarding what I saw in this to start with/what I was going for in the photo. I liked the detail on the head of the nail, though didn't capture it as well as I might have liked. I also liked that the nail was weathered/rusty and complimented the colour of the tree bark.

I wanted a shallow DOF in order that the nail head was the only thing to focus on - I wanted the image to convey isolation. On more pragmatic terms I was also aiming to avoid the 'eye searching around the image' effect - though this may well have been too direct an approach of doing so. I thought the pattern of the tree-trunk worked well as a blurred background.

I was trying to get the nail head on a 3rd, and the shadow from the nail into the bottom right hand corner. I hoped the shadow might have come out darker such that it lent more interest to the photo.

Best,

-Ben

Old Mar 18, 2006, 6:42 AM   #20

All,

Thanks for commenting on this - one for me to drop I think!

Nate - thanks for the edit, I quite like it

Syd - thanks for the laughs :blah:

Kenmck - thanks for your support :bye:

Hards80sBodyDouble! Nice to see someone taking over the reins Intrigued as to who this is! Thanks for making me laugh, also.

Best,

-B