Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:16 PM   #1

Hi all,

Rather different from my recent macro outings. This one more of a lens-testing exercise, but thought it had at least some artistic merit.

PP has been a raw conversion (warmed it up a tad - but the lighting was ~1hr before sunset, so not much), some USM, and a little shadows tweaking.

Comment away... :-)

Best,

-Ben
Attached Images

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:44 PM   #2

This image doesn't really captivate me as there is very little on which to focus. The lens however, seems to be amazing. I would have bought that lens already if I hadn't had to spend that money on my car. Somethings that could be fun with this is if you were to shoot from an angle more perpendicular to the shaft of the nail to get a slightly larger portion in focus and, heres the hard part, convince an ant to walk along it. I think that focusing on an ant running the length of the nail could make a great action macro shot.
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:21 PM   #3

Nate

The ant presents a challenge! I shall have to see in what ways I can entice them (and get them to stay still).

The shallow DOF was intentional - I was trying to focus all the attention on the head of the nail - but as you say, that doesn't leave much to focus on. If the light's good tomorrow, i'll go out and have another shot.

In a week, I can hold this sort of conversation with you face to face Woah, so much to do...

Best,

-B
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:34 PM   #4

oBSidian wrote:
Quote:

The ant presents a challenge! I shall have to see in what ways I can entice them (and get them to stay still).

-B

In Dustin's absence . . . may I suggest you just kill one and stick it on the nail with some superglue . . .

:lol:
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:41 PM   #5

LOLOL Syd!

Now we don't want to start a furore (sorry, heated debate), do we?

btw, where is Dustin (again)? is he snowed under with work too?

-B
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:45 PM   #6

Dustin seems to have gone AWOL again. We could take it in turns standing in for him . . .
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:49 PM   #7

We COULD!

We could set up a rota of 'those adopting dustin's aura for the day'

any takers?

Then we could get him to critique not only our photos, but our impersonations of himself, when he returns!

:blah:

-B

Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:44 AM   #8

I think the main subject appears overpowered by the backing. Maybe a really tight crop will help draw the attention back to the subject. too little of it is in focus.

well exposed image though and you have done well to get the end so sharp and in focus

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:52 PM   #9

zzzzzzzilch! Mind bogglingly absent of anything artistic, but perhaps a good grade for demonstrating macro. From time to time my imagination leads me to try shots like this. They don't always live up to my expectations. Lovely array of abstract colors, good color saturation, but...I would go back to the drawing board or look for an ant to glue on it. The circle does lend a wee bit of isolated symmetry....but ??? zzzzz nothing exciting to my eye. What else ya got?:idea:

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:04 PM   #10

"i agree... getting offand/or getting a less straight on shot would be more interesting.. don't be afraid to take several shots from different angles and with different placements in the frame.. then go back through them and see what you like and don't like.. its a good learning tool..

cheers
dustin" originally Posted: Sun Mar 5th, 2006 12:42 pm
Hards80s_BodyDouble is offline   Reply With Quote