Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:38 PM   #1

I just took my camera from my bag and tried to capture some penentrating sun rays which always fascinates me. It turned out to be somewhat dark from what I see. If I increase brightness, the magic is gone, I fear. How do you find?
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:58 PM   #2

Hey, bahadir...

How is this for an edit? It is a bit dark but I was trying to capture the boldness of the moment that I am sure my eye captured even if your digcam did not

Attached Images

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:24 PM   #3

i like it the way it is.

i believe that in a shot like this, a dark foreground, almost sillouette, is an element

that forces the eye to the subject, here being the great capture of the sun peeking out

from behind the clouds.

great shot, bahadir!

btw, just curious, but where was this taken?

i am planning a trip to europe this late summer, and heard that the turkish coast has

a rather impressinve display of ancient greek architecture.

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:43 PM   #4

As far as I can rememeber this one of those photos that has captured the mood very well. I have no complaint against the technicalities: satisfied with the crop, framing, composition and colours.

Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:05 AM   #5

digcamfan, you ventured into a more accentuated work keeping the foreground even darker beyond the point where I hesitated. I also see you cropped the picture to draw the attention more to the place where the celestial activity happens. You've proved the phrase No risk no gain! Actually, the dark tree on the left didn't have much with the theme, yet my eyes are missing the beams directed to the right, for only a bright blown area in the sky remains from it. So how about preserving only some of this beam over another cloud and completely eleminating the tree as you did?

Scot, thank you for the remark you've made, which is very helpful for such cloud and smoke shots at which you've proved your expertise. This is another shot from Konak square in Izmir.
And about your trip in late summer; as someone with such photographic skills, you'll definitely be more than satisfied with many a rich occasions in Anatolia where Ionic order, the most distinctive and therefore the essential feature of ancient greek architecture was born. Just let me know before you arrive and your first beer here is a treat from the last of the Trojans, myself!:-)

Jaki, having received your approval in the fields you mention, I feel thankful to you for your encouragement for my further shots. I must say I have always admired the credit you allow for the starters.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:50 AM   #6

Great potential bahadir - I've found that experimenting with shutter speed is really useful for these types of shot. Trysome faster shutter speeds next time and you'll be surprised at the varying effects you can achieve with the minimum of fuss- all a matter of exposure at the end of the day. Love sunrays penetrating through clouds, as you've probably gathered already.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:46 PM   #7

Thanks Steve, I noted the higher shutter speed experimentation as long as my camera can permit. That would be a pleasure at a street bistro overlooking the gulf in some late afternoon!
What aperture value range do you think will work best to base on my experimentation for such a situation, I mean, regarding the conditions similar with this particular shot?:-)