Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 16, 2006, 9:39 PM   #1

With these photos I was trying to capture the energy and attention that my dog had. I have plenty of silly photos of him with the "Ahh" reaction and that isn't what I was going for here. Whenever we play ball he is so entirely captivated by the ball that it is nearly impossible to get his attention. This intensity and focus is what I have been trying to capture. Both images have been cropped and cleaned up with picasa. Let me know what you think of these photos.

Nate
Attached Images

JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 9:39 PM   #2

Number two.
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:22 AM   #3

Nate,

I'm glad you have posted some of your photos, and I think you chose some good shots to get the ball rolling (sorry couldn't resist:G )

I think you have achieved what you set out to.

A couple of observations:

For the first, I think a slightly looser crop at the top might work a little better; I'd like to see all (or at least more) of the ball. I think this would give the shot more context. Also, the white part of his coat is slightly overexposed, but this doesn't detract greatly from this photo IMHO.

The second, the look of concentration on Vegas' face is fantastic, and it is nicely composed. One thing I might try in future is to get _really_ low down on the ground to shoot. It seems that photos always have more impact when you're at the same level as the subject. It lends just that bit more 'interaction' between viewer and subject. Having said that, it depends what kind of things you might be lying in, in a park!

Nice job! and look forward to more

Best,

-B

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:12 PM   #4

Thanks Ben. I've been trying to get more shots from lower down and with more ball etc.* It is so very difficult to do so! The timing to get both his mouth and the ball in the frame, not to mention in the same focal plane, and close enough for detail yet far away enough to not be cropped. The first shot doesn't have much more ball in it. I did crop off a little since it was just showing a big hole in the ball but only a very little. On the second shot if I was lower down he would have run me over! I had to move out of the way as it was. I don't think Vegas minds all of the attempts though!Best
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:54 PM   #5

these are quite good candids, tho the advice of getting at eye level is particularly good one for animals...
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:16 PM   #6

Nice shots. The suggestions already offered are good ones. I'm looking forward to seeing more. And your dog is beautiful.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote