Attached Images

matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:43 PM   #3

#3 Oil Painting
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:57 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Oil painting works for me on this one (could be that it is just a little bigger than the others), but like colour better anyway for some reason with this shot.

Really like the natural feel to this rather than it being posed.

Good work!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:47 AM   #5

thanks
Old Mar 19, 2006, 1:33 AM   #6

i think oil suites this style of shot the most. i think its soft cast really plays up the mood of the shot. nice capture, very natural. a keeper

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:51 AM   #7

Nice shot but I must admit to being distracted by memories of the Concho River and my days at the Standard-Times.

Africa
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 3:12 PM   #8

Well this photograph wasn't taken in san angelo, it was in Hunt Texas. But yeah the standard times. when did you work there? you might know my father if you were a photographer or a reporter?
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:20 AM   #9

Sorry, I thought I recognised the river walk and noticed you were from SA.

Yes, I was on the photo staff from 1978-1981 before moving to the Midland Reporter-Telegram. It was my first job out of college and I really enjoyed it. Coming from the desert of El Paso, Texas, I loved the trees, green grass and water of SA.

Africa

Here's one for photogs - my first murder scene photo was taken at Angelo State Unv. I was called out at about 11 PM, drove to the school and saw a scene of police cars, students, faculty and news reporters all around one end of a building (don't remember which one). No one was allowed inside and everyone was waiting for a body on a stretcher to appear. But I noticed all the lights were out in the two story building except in one room, on the second floor, on the opposite end of the building from where the cops were hearding everyone.

So I walked around the building, climbed one of those big pecan trees and got a photo through the slightly askew ventian blinds of three men who were obviously standing around the victim. I couldn't see the body and could only see the men from the waist up. Being new to the area I didn't know any of the men but I took a pic of them and climbed out of the tree. It ended up on the front page as a long verticle covering the entire width of the page. The three men were the University President, the Chief of Police and Head of Detectives! My editors loved the pic, you could tell it was shot through the blinds and one of the men was looking down at the body while the other two were looking and talking to each other.

After I got out of the tree I started checking all the doors on the end of the building and was surprised when one of them opened! I knew where the body was and where the double-door entry was so, after hiding in a janitors closet when some cops walked past me, I started up the stairs. I knew I wouldn't have tiime to put the camera up to my eye so I put on a 28mm lens prefocused to 10 feet and knowing it was a well lit room set the SS to 1/125, f-4, 800 ISO (Tri-X, B&W). I let the camera hang at my waist and had my finger on the shutter.

When I got to the top of the stairs I approached the doors, one side was opened so I knew I would step into the room turn toward the body and hit the shutter. I was hoping the body would be covered with people standing around it. I wanted a covered body otherwise I knew we wouldn't use it and I didn't want to see another dead body. Sweating and shaking like crazy I stepped into the room, turned and immediately collided with a cop! He was headed out the door, what a surprise for me, him and everyone one in that room!!!

The guy grabbed both my arms and shoved me a good 20-30 feet down the hallway asking me who I was, how I got in, etc. - never stopping to wait for an answer. Needless to say my picture was of his belly, at about 10 inches instead of my predicted 10 feet! No photo after all that.

There were cops all over me! They turned me to the wall, took my camera and handcuffed me. Then the questions started again. I told them who I was, that I worked for the Standard-Times and explained how I got into the building. They tried calling the newspaper and several editors, it was now about 1 AM. They took me outside to check with our reporter who I mentioned was outside with the rest of the media people. They gave my camera to the reporter and after about 20 minutes took off the cuffs. Soon after that the body on a stretcher was wheeled out and I got the same picture everyone else did.

I knew that they had to check me out and that I had pushed the envelope but I was a little surprised at how suspicious they were of me and how long it took to confirm who I was and take off the handcuffs. Then the reason became clear as our reporter found out that the body was found in a lecture room but a blood trail ran about half way down the hallway to the Universty DARKROOM!!!:O

A photo student had killed the coed, he was arrested the next day and later convicted of the murder.:evil:

Africa

Is there anywhere to post the second chapter of my book?
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:32 AM   #10

Hey Africa? Fab story... what a memory to have!

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote