Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:49 PM   #1

I took this photo today and could use some suggestions on how to deal with glare. This picture was taken with a polarizer but I still have way too much glare off of the glass.

I tried to use photoshop to get rid of the glare, but don't particularly like the results:

Just as a comparison, this is the only view I could get where I didn't run into glare problems:

So my question is really 2 fold - how do you deal technique-wise with so much glare in the first place, if a polarizer filter doesn't help, or is it then hopeless? And second, is there anything in photoshop besides what I did that would help this?

For any American football fan, this is Reggie Bush's Heisman. Bet you can guess where I was today!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:04 PM   #2

I'm surprised you couldn't rotate the polarizer to get rid of more reflection that that. I'm not saying you could have done better, just that those reflections must have been extreme without the polarizer. I'm also surprised you could generate 1/320 sec at ISO 200 with the light reduction of a polarizer. My EXIF viewer isn't showing the f-stop, but that must be a fast lens.

At that angle you could possibly have used the flash if it hadn't reflected off something else. It looks like the angles of the glass would have diverted the flash reflections – maybe not. The seams would probably have given you some bright return, but that would be a lot easier to tone down in Photoshop than what you have.

You did a nice job. You might try the burn tool at an extremely low exposure setting and a soft edged brush.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:22 PM   #3

Problem:
Flare or glare is created when non image-forming light enters the lens and hits the film or digital sensor as in the case of your shot. Generally it lowers the contrast of the picture.

Solution:
a: You can use the lens hood something that looks like the picture inserted.
B: Use flare to your advantage as in a sunrise or sunset shot. Or in the composition place obstacles to reduce the flare as in a photo shot in the woods.
C: Sometimes it is a simple reflection of light from a water, glass or some other surfaces. Most times this can be blocked out using a polariser.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Jaki
[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Jaki/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:51 PM   #4

The reason you don't get an f stop reading is that I was using a 25 year oldmanual lens (50 mm, 1.7- qualifies as a fast lens, and it was wide open). The light really was difficult - the glass was reflecting light from several sources (there's windows on both sides of the room and the glass around the statue reflects from both sides, as well as the lights in the room). This was the most effect I could get out of the polarizer (a Vivitar polarizer, and since it doesn't say "circular" I suspect that it's a linear one). The glare was far worse without it. Don't know if a lens hood (this lens doesn't have one) would have made a difference, since the glare was being reflected off the glass.

Thanks for the suggestion of using the dodging tool - I never think about it, and it makes sense that it would be easier and betterthan the way I did it - selecting part of the statue, making a levels layer as a clipping mask (is thatthe right term?), match part of the statue a couple of times.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:06 AM   #5

Here's my attempt with the dodge/burn tool -I like what it does, but I'll need to get used to using it (it's not a tool I ever think about and so only used a number of years ago when I worked through the tutorial for Photoshop 3!).
Attached Images