Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:09 AM   #11

Nice shot!I too agree with whats been said about a stationary figure in the pic...wonder how this would look like in B&w...
crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:48 AM   #12

Thanks for the comments,

I do have a few from this scenewith a human element. Also the cliched singular figure. However its not whatI was really looking for and I felt distracts from the scene as a whole. Sure the composition commercially becomes stronger for it, but I felt there was a sharper edge to leave it empty. The movement in the train is almost enough contrasted with the emptiness. The viewer is the lone figure in this photograph. Is it not you after all standing there feeling lonely in this urban scene. hahaha Or at least that is whatI was hoping for. I find the large lights eerie and fairly foreboding.

The city is Berlin by the way.

An individual style or philosophy? Again very nice comments... Hadn't thought I had that really. Basically when I am in the mood to photograph I look around myself and almost let the scene find me. Ask yourself, why does one photograph entertain you above another? Then when you are out walking, use the same assumptions. Your eyes will see the photograph. One thing I find important - after the camera has been put away, its also time to switch off and forget about it. Living life though a lens can be very creatively destructive, and not very relaxing. :-)

Thanks again

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:29 AM   #13

excellent shot, i lke this shot on all levels

\great work

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:12 AM   #14

Hi LBoy,

I like your train shots - great idea. I have one question: are you using any sort of filterto allow a 3 second exposure in a pretty bright location?

My favourite part of the image is the colours in the overhead lights - they are seriously cool! Why can't UK train stations be more like that?

Thanks,
Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:27 AM   #15

haha,

Yip Dom, I just called all the train shots 3 sec train... the aperture was nearer 1 on this. I dont carry the filters around generally. For Landscape ND filter are required with moving water. Mostly I play with many tricks in PS to balance lighting and apertures at different parts of photographs though.

However in this occasion the lighting was low so it was conducive to have a long app anyway. It wouldn't have stopped me taking and merging a number of photos together in PSif there was too much light for a long aperture never the less. Would have locally reduced the app in raw for the train and then merged into the background. Like I saw it wasn't required on this occasion.Hope that makes sense to you.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:34 AM   #16

This is stunning, great job!! will you be selling any prints, I would love to buy one from you let me know.

Thanks, Kevin
PHOTO-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:07 PM   #17

The hue gives it an abstract look. Well done. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 4:53 AM   #18

LBoy,

Not only do I find your photography visually pleasing your philosophy on photography has taught me something today.

Thank you for sharing a little of yourself.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 5:41 PM   #19

Your pictures are stunning as always. Nice work!
Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:51 PM   #20

awesome pic!
jwxtremre43 is offline   Reply With Quote