Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:28 PM   #1

Hi all, I just started playing with some framing and wanted to get your opinions. I shot this last summer on my honeymoon.

Thanks for looking.

James

JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:57 PM   #2

Wow this picture is magnific
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:20 PM   #3

Sorry James...I'm not a fan of this one. Nice composition. It has some really nice lines that attempt to draw the viewer into the image. Where it fails for me, is the presentation of colour and it seems over sharpened. It seems too forced and over the top for my person preferences. The light haze of the horizon also draws the up and away from the ocean and the beach and I find the colour of greenery in the bottom right corner a little too bright and again it draws the viewer's eye out towards it rather than into the image. I'd rather that my eyes naturally explore the very nice bluish green coloured water at the beach's edge.

Overall...Still a very impressive image. I'm sure alot of people enjoy this presentation! Personally... I would like you to explore a couple other variations.

Ooops.... I like your choice of framing except I think you could downplay the copyright a tiny bit. (smaller font)
RedRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:42 PM   #4

i think it's beautiful- i wish i were there now
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:06 AM   #5

I particularly liked the blueness of the sea, while maintainingĀ* details of theĀ* hills/mountains converging into the centre from left and rightI think the tree on the left hand corner does something good to the pic...
crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:43 AM   #6

Hi,

I think this is an amazing picture. The colours are simply fantastic. I can almost breathe the clear fresh sea air. What a fabulous place to have a honeymoon... but your new wife let you take photographs????

Normally haze takes something away from a picture (quite often a lot of people post shots asking how to remove it) but I think it has such a place here. It really is something - breathtaking - must have been amazing to be stood up there..

With regards to the frame I dont generally like them. This one is not too bad actually. The only thing I don't like about it is the thin single pixel harsh black line directly around the image. Wonder what it would be like without that?

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:28 AM   #7

fantasitc shot

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:44 PM   #8

Other than a bit of color tweaking(ran this version through a velvia action in PS) this is as shot. Sharpening was done in Bridge when converted from RAW. 1/50sec @f/11, 17mm

RedRhino- while re-examining the photo I have to agree that the brightareas you mentioneddo draw my eyes from the center of the photo. I can see an improvement if I hold my hand over the lower right corner where the bright foliage is. I'll have to see if I can do anything with that in PS as I don't want to crop at all.

Here is a version that was not run through the velvia action:

It is obviously not as punchy, maybe there is some sharpening done in the action too. I'm not sure, I didn'twrite it! From what I remember in my head the true colors were somewhere between the two pictures.

My wife was very patient with me (I shot about 1200 pictures over 11 days)although I would have spent a significantly larger amount of my time taking pictures if she wasn't there! Maybe someday I can go back by myself...

Thanks for the comments everyone.

JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:30 PM   #9

Hi James,

I think if you could get a result in between the 2 that you posted, you would have an image that appealed to a larger audience, without losing much. I agree... I would not crop this image. I would attempt to use some layers and selectively adjust the the foliage in the bottom right corner. A very nice image... one to be proud of!!!
RedRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:29 PM   #10

Man that is a nice looking shot. Liek mentioned a little town down in the color saturation in the greenage might be in order. Great non the less. Would make a nice background on my computer.

Its hard not to get caught up in taking pictures, but your wife has a point. Its just as important to actaully experience it through your own two lenses.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote