Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:34 AM   #1

A recently purchased a notebook and have been using it to edit. I've tried calibrating the monitor by eye, but I'm not very confident in the results. I've ordered an Eye1 calibration kit, but while I'm waiting for it to arrive, here are two different genres of photos. Please could you suggest changes I need to make, i.e. if the photo is to dark, my screen is to bright, if it has to much contrast, my screen has to little contrast, if it has a blue cast, I need to add more yellow, etc.

Here is the portrait...
Attached Images

JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:38 AM   #2

Here is the landscape

Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:31 PM   #3

It is hard to tell for the first shot, it seems to be ok, maybe a little on the bright side.

Now the second one...Just an amazing shot! Too good to be displayed for calibrating purpose only. You can safely consider it among your favourites for your next photo competition. Maybe it would requre 10% contrast plus 8-9% fill flash. :-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:08 AM   #4

Thanks Bahadir for the help - I suppose the only way I'm gonna get it right is to print a few pictures and try match the screen to the prints.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:46 AM   #5

Love that sunset John - that is a winner in my opinion, although it does seem to have a bit of an 'orangey' cast to it, almost like a filter has been used with insufficient light. The portrait is nice but seems a little too 'yellowey' / blandon my screen. Might be because of the shirt colour dominating the frame?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:05 AM   #6

Thanks Steve - looks like its gonna be a challenge to do my editing on a notebook...
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:07 AM   #7

woooow

both shots are stunning. i like the ptrait. well litm relaly nice natural exposure great expression. fantasitc shot

ur landscape is also very nice. i like th composition and i do actually like the farker appeal of this shot. really great stuff

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:10 AM   #8

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:
looks like its gonna be a challenge to do my editing on a notebook...

LOL yea mate, my laptop monitor is useles and icant get it calibreatd right on. wen i do most of my edits of other ppls posts i use my laptop to make changes. they look fine here until i log on again on my desktop with my calibrated monitor when i realise WOoow way to dark. way to much contrast

im sure ur laptop monitor will be beta than mine. good luck, til this day i just gues and hope for the best. anything i want to edit seriously i go to my desktop

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:01 PM   #9

If you can connect a video camera to yourlaptop,I think is possible to compare the image on the LCD with the oneyou just look at by the video camera. Is not very clear what I want to say but is better to use the video camera like a web video camera - "live", anddon't play a tape. Just connect the video camera anduse a video capture software and compare (lets say) your room with its image on the LCD.

... oh my poor english...

Good luck!

vidiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:47 PM   #10

From the look of the pictures, first of all the pics seem fine for me, I don't think the problem is the screen but see what is possible. I have use a laptop and have never had to calibrate it. In addition, I have printed pictures that I have worked on, on the same laptop and they have been fine.

Regards.

Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote