Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:46 PM   #1

This picture mysteriously constantly captures my attention...I was quite happy with its orignal state but decided to give it a go with photoshop. The following was derived from increasing the unsharp mask to er..180% and the radius to roughly 90 pixels. Quite interesting how it altered the contrasts and detail...anyone can give any ideas on how to improve the original image/comments on the edited version appreciated...Jules
Attached Images

crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:47 PM   #2

original..
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2006, 2:22 AM   #3

Hey hope you don't mind - I saw that image and just had to have a play with it in PS... I like your edit. It made me think of the movie Kalifornia or Natural born killers = or alocation you may expect to find Mulder and Scully.

I straightened up the image a degree so that the signpost was level and did a little sharpen, then a sepia filter and a little curves adjustment.

Thanks,
Dom
Attached Images

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:39 AM   #4

thanks DomHmmm..I quite like ur edit as well, but I'm not sure why...it looks pretty in a more subtle and gentle way.....what were you trying to balance out in the curves adjustment?¬*Juleshere's another one from the series..taken in Queensland- they had these nice trees along the highway that would suddenly stop at one section along the way and it would be flat land all the way from there...
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2006, 1:03 PM   #5

Hi Jules,

Curves adjustment was just to pull a little contrast - but not too much.

That second shot of yours is definately in need of the horizon straightening. It is a little too centered for me and there is no real foreground interest. Maybe if you shot it at an angle to show the treeline finishing and the road would maybe have given it some depth? It does have a nice contrasty feel to it though!

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 7:21 AM   #6

didn't really notice the uneven horiozon..lol~ wht function do u achieve tht¬* with ?still new to ps...thanks for the insights, I agree subjects can appear boring when being in the center,I jst wanted to emphasize on the strange fact; a bunch of trees in the middle of nowhere..ending abruptly...and you can probably tell that theres nothing in the foreground...as well as the background to further emphasize this....jst what i thought when i took this pic...Jules