Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:49 PM   #1

Took these earlier today when the sun came out for a bit. I thought they looked a bit like an eye looking back at me. Taken with a screw on lens, not true macro. A bit of pp for color enhancement.

Nate
Attached Images

JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:50 PM   #2

Second Take
Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:12 PM   #3

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:55 PM   #4

Sorry, these don't do much for me. What is it?
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:36 PM   #5

A large marble sitting in the sun. Looking into the marble with a very short focus.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:44 PM   #6

I quite like the idea with these. On the day you posted them, I had been experimenting with a series of shotsof some really nice and interesting marbles my daughter has. They really do look quite amazing, the colours, the twirlly way the coloured glass inside creates pleasing patterns, the little odd air bubbles etc. Also Scot (ESCrawford), had given me the inspiration with his glassorb series. The trouble I found was that I really had towork out the best shutter speed so as not to blow the highlights or have the image too dark. Also, I found that lighting was such an important thing here, and the way different light hits them from varying angles and that aiming a light beam through them collectively or individually highlighted varying aspects. I took around 50 shots and am still not quite happy with any of them. However, I think as a photographic subject they have great potential. I just need to experiment with the exposure and lighting of them to get that look I hope for.

Your shots are quite pleasing to look at, but just feel that we need to experiment a bit more with these to get the shots we're after. I think the answer lies in the lighting technique.

Syd

P.S. Here's an example of my experimentations, but I do not feel satisfied with it by any means.
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:01 PM   #7

Marbles....!!! I don't know if anyone who never played marbles as a kid can really appreciate their beauty. When I was in elementary school, kids used to flock to school e a r l y (???? yup...early) just to get a good spot to "set up" and draw a line in the dirt from where the challengers had to shoot from. We had steelies, cats eyes, chrystals, boulders, and pee wees. It was a sad day if you got "cleaned out" but an awesome day if you took home a "haul" . The whole area in front of the school was a solid mass of kids shooting and playing marbles. Looked like a huge flea market full of kids. This is a great shot, Steve, gorgeous colors, and there's that light sparkling in there, just begging any kid to scoop it up and play.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:06 PM   #8

We could have gone to the same school by your description. I remember all that quite clearly. i had amassed quite a collection and was proud of every one, for their individual character and beauty as well as the trophy. I used to carry mine in a big cotton sack. I was cleaned out and had to start from scratch a few times. Became quite a craze that lasted many, many, years.

Beats Pokemon any day.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:27 PM   #9

Nate,

I like these - a little soft, but well composed. I think Syd is right that the key is in the lighting. Keep experimenting and you'll come up with a beauty.

Best,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:27 PM   #10

Sorry Nate this doesn't really do much for me either. Too tight and 'one dimensional'. Just looking at the patterns and the air bubbles/orbs it's got a bit of a whirling galaxy look to me that you might be able to do something with in black & white?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote