Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:43 AM   #1

I don't know the name of this lizard but this is what I have been able to do. Very little post processing limited to contrast and colour saturation. Wonder whether it speaks to you. Comments welcome.

Regards.

Jaki.
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:04 AM   #2

Hi Jaki!

This lizard is indeed a very majestic specimen! I'd say he was the king in his part of the jungle! The green background seemed a bit weird to me at first, but then I guess (seeing shadows?) that this animal is in an enclosure / zoo?

A shame you didn't catch the end of it's tail, and the foreground lizard is somewhat distracting (to me). Still you've captured a lovely pose and great colours, well done.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:16 AM   #3

Paul, thanks for looking and the observations. The tail itself was out of sight. There was no way I could have included it. Besides had to wait for about an hour. This dude remained in that position all the while. The only picture I shot of him.

Kind of cloned out the other lizard.

Regards.

Jaki.
Attached Images

Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:18 AM   #4

hey, jaki.

the iguana tank background is a total killer here.

your composition is great, the subject is sharp and his color is awsome, but that

background creates a lot of noise and distraction.

try layering in something or maybe a tighter crop?

otherwise, nice shot!

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:51 AM   #5

Great edit Jaki - it is a shame about the tail but it doesnt bother me too much - the pose is quite something. And the sharpness is there.

I am a little put off by the hot light source directly from the top. On the top of his head is a little hot... also it looks like maybe drop the contrast slightly? Not sure if darker colours would benefit here.

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:27 AM   #6

Hi Jaki again!

I do like your edit, you cloned out the other lizard well (yeah we all knew it is called an iguana Scot, just we didn't want to put our display knowledge on the line... lol :blah:!) Just joking!

I agree, you did well on the sharpness. The lighting was maybe a bit harsh, but still it's a fantastic catch. I understand that tail thing now... thanks for explaining.

When you wrote you had to wait around an hour, do you mean for an appropriate photo or what?

Again, thanks, it's a "proud posing" reptile, that's for sure!

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:12 AM   #7

Scot thanks for the name: Inguana. Couldn't have possibly guessed. I wish I could do something about that background. My level of skills does not yet allow me fiddle with layers or something. About a tighter crop, I have tried but this one still appears to be the best. Surprised there is noise in that picture. Took it in raw and have left it in high resolution. The lighting was good then.Thanks for the comments.

Dom feel sorry about that tail, just no other way to do it. There was a glass between us and the tail was obscured between the glass and something physical. In any case it wouldn't have appeared. Have dropped the contrast and brighness. See the result below.

Paul I waited for an hour to get him pose in another way, I mean move so that I could see that tail. :G. Thanks very much for the kind efforts. I have toned down the brighteness. Don't know if it works. Let me know.

Regards. Jaki.
Attached Images

Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:55 AM   #8

yea i like the shot, i had a quik go at putting back the tail. gee its hard on this stupid touch pad on my laptop. i wil have to try again on my desktop

nice shot

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:20 PM   #9
LT7

Jaki,

Whoa, nice picture, very sharp. I do like the pose as well, and have to say that I like your last edit best. I have to agree with the others though on the Green wall in the background, I wish it was a different color. The missing tail bit doesn't bother me as much as I understand how sometimes, we are limited by our angle of view, and the enclosure or the penthe animal is in. I did find the second lizard distracting as well, so was glad you got rid of it. To make a long story short I like this picture a lot.

LT

P/S - Ken,

I'm interested to know how you added the end of the tail to that picture?

LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:40 PM   #10

This is a fine-looking lizard.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote