Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:54 PM   #1

Ok let me have it.....I know I messed up the background... I have no idea what I was thinking... they are plastic almost like dollar store table clothes (disposable or something) I got them with a set of strobes......I tried to save the portraits...any advice? I will upload my attempt at recovery in a second (i don't upload pictures often)
Attached Images

dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:55 PM   #2

Here is my fix... I really have a tough time with hair and extracting... Please help!
Attached Images

Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:35 AM   #3

G'day there,

I like your second attempt, but with regards to the hair. Can I suggest maybe blurring it a little along the edges. Might help to take away from the hardness of the crop. Just a thought.

Otherwise nice photo and good to see both subjects cooperating at the same time

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:03 AM   #4

It's tough to get an extracted image that looks real. We tried several times to get a nice black background and we found that a black sheet works good but it has to be ironed. We finally ended up buying a background support system with some paper rolls. That makes a huge difference.

That said, I think you did a pretty good job at changing out the background. For the original picture, what you could try is bring the model out away from the background and usebarn door (we used cardboard and clamps) to prevent light from hitting the background. This will keep the back ground dark. Then you could either keep the background black, or usse selective color to remove it.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:50 AM   #5

Good one, I have the barn doors, but didn't use them. I tried the snoot before they arrived to light up the background...but didn't like the not so perfect circle it created by shooting from the side

You mentioned keeping the light off the background.....funny because I delibertly lit the background.... go figure.... I thought that would have helped seperate the subjects..... Thanks for the advice... keep it coming!!!!
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:05 PM   #6

HI,

well first the second photo is really small for real judgement. It is very hard to do cut-copy-paste when the hair is the subject....you've seenit by yourself while you were doing.

For sure the second attempt is good choice as the background is really distraction. First you should move your subject from background as far as posible (at least 2 meters). By blurring the background you put the subject infront but the problem is hair. Might use blur on hair specially at the edges...no much more you could do here....keep doing it and will learn what suit you the best...

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:07 PM   #7

Hey Dashboardgyno.I had a fiddle with this. The hair extracting would be much easier to do on a high resolution image, also on a flatter background, I don't think the colour is and issue.In PSCS2 there is a tool called the "extract tool" quite handy for etching around hair, filters the background out quite well... although I didn't use this, I deep etched tightly and added some glows and so on.It's really trial and error!Cheers-Yaz
Attached Images

Yazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:33 PM   #8

great edit, yazz.

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:50 AM   #9

yea nice edit

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:33 PM   #10

Thanks guys!