Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:38 AM   #1

Ok this is my very first pic with signature and all that jazz. Even has a border!!

I can't say there is alot to see in this shot but I did take for a few reasons. The colours at the time, the shadows that were cast and because it just looked cool.

Anyway comment away tell me what you think. And tell me if I should try and come up with a few more like it.

Ollie

PS just noticed my spelling error I meant to say Lamp Shade not Lame Shade..LOL

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:42 PM   #2

Ollie, I hate lamps.So this might be a spoiled ballot. Lamps with shades always remind me of old ladies houses and parlours. No offense Ollie, but altho I do like the effect the shadows make, the colors are so muted, and the subject so flat, I can't get warmed up to it. Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, granted, the colors are noticeable. Interesting to a degree but not remarkable in the way art can attract my interest. The picture is fine, technically looks ok, and might be worth experimenting with. Kudos for imagination.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:42 PM   #3

I think this is nicely exposed and has a certain charm about it. I can see it as a poster asvertising a theatre play or something. However, the thing thatwould make thisworkis,the lamp needs to be further away from the wall imo.

Syd
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:05 PM   #4

I guess you're going to end up getting a pretty wide variety of views of this photo! I like it a lot. My only criticism is that I would like to see the lamp in the middle, and the dead space at the left cropped. The asymmetry in the lighting pattern allows you to center the lamp without getting an irritating symmetry, to my eye anyway.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:20 PM   #5

i can't put my finger on why i keep coming back to this shot, but i do.

i think a series would be pretty cool, too.

give 'er a try and let's see what you come up with!

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:53 PM   #6

Can I borrow that shade? I am going to party tonight.:O:?
Hards80s_BodyDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:31 PM   #7

G'day guys,

well wow...I thought my little lampshade was never going to get a look at but then snap it has. Ok bad pun

Anyway to address quickly before I head out some of the comments raised. I think I do get the "flatteness" comment although after quickly pulling the lamp out from the wall and taking a shot it doesn't "unflatten" it all that much. Still I might do more shots and add them to the set and see how you guys like it.

Secondly the space to the left. Well when I was taking the shot I did it initially because I just looked at it and thought that looks cool I will take a shot. But to the right where you can't see was the door frame and to the left was more that enough wall. So rather than having a centered squarish image I thought I would crop the right off bring in the tops and bottoms, which also had uninteresting elements and then stretch out the left. Now the left is roughly 2/3 of the image with the lamp and lighting taking up the final third. And then the light below the lamp, the lamp itself and finally the light make up the other thirds from top to bottom.

Now seeming as I am new to photography I am letting myself off on this on Mainly because I was sticking to the rule of thirds, even if it was horrizontally and vertically.

Anyway I can't give the shade away the girlfriend would kill me

I will do some more and post up a set

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:47 PM   #8

There are more than enough lamps in my house to take pics of!I like this shot, I feel that the dark space on the left balances the light,* it's nice contrast!The image is mainly cream and black, it's cool how the beads are redish!You should take a few,of the same lamp of different walls and different angles and make a set... that would look cool!x
Yazzy is offline   Reply With Quote