Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:26 AM   #1

Ok, this is how not to light this guy, I didn't have too much time, but how would you light this orchid and shoot it using halogen desk lamps...which really can do a lot more than this illustrates.
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:39 AM   #2

Hey Ken, didn't now you are in the flower business:G. I have issue with the angle of shooting. But I can see you say you did not have much time. Also seems too centred. But overall interesting subject with artistic value. Regard. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:12 PM   #3

I quite like this. It has a calming effect I find. I don't know very much about lighting or angle techniques, but it works for me.

Syd
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:28 PM   #4

Hey Ken, very nice & soft - I would think about pruning it for Syd's wedding bouquet :G

Are you going by the way? Think I will be - thought we could provide the photo services as a wedding gift :|
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:29 PM   #5

Greetings, Jaki....We (my wife, anyway) do have a sprinkle of indoor plants and flowers, this one has had as many as three blossoms but usually maintains the status quo at one. My first attempt doesn't do it justice, but I will experiment. I am trying to light it so the delicate texture comes out, as well as the subtle colors at the centre, and so try for a softer light, tripod, with a longer exposure. I practised on a white artificial rose, which was easier to move around, but the results were laughable. The camera resolved the detail too well, and the textures of the material looked anything but like a rose when it was all said and done. I am reluctant to move this plant around much, I fear I may incite it to object and lose it's last flower. If I only had a lizard, now...ha ha...thanks for observing...

Kd
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:51 PM   #6

Hi guys...you both posted as I was being interrupted while writing a reply to Jaki. I had a marriachi band and touring eskimo soloist lined up to play at Syd's special day. I am also looking at dying this blossom the same shade as the wedding party's outfits.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Kd
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:24 PM   #7

i often use my halogen desk lamp for single bulb/directional light. you want to put more distance between the subject and your background. direct the light toward the flower without lighting up the background too much or at all. i always use a tripod and usually a small aperature of f16 or f22 to get more detail, though play around with the DoF to see what effect you like.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:21 PM   #8

julies517 wrote:
Quote:
i often use my halogen desk lamp for single bulb/directional light. you want to put more distance between the subject and your background. direct the light toward the flower without lighting up the background too much or at all. i always use a tripod and usually a small aperature of f16 or f22 to get more detail, though play around with the DoF to see what effect you like.
I'll give it a try, and repost. The halogen does a passable job for light, and doesn't blow the white balance, but getting the distance will be a bit tricky. Good comment and thanks...

Kd
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:08 AM   #9

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys...you both posted as I was being interrupted while writing a reply to Jaki. I had a marriachi band and touring eskimo soloist lined up to play at Syd's special day. I am also looking at dying this blossom the same shade as the wedding party's outfits.

The eskimo soloist is a nice touch Ken - at least he'll be prepared for the English weather on the special day. (if you'll forgive the pun)
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:14 AM   #10

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
The eskimo soloist is a nice touch Ken - at least he'll be prepared for the English weather on the special day. (if you'll forgive the pun)
I'm afraid fish isn't on the menu (excuse the pun). :lol:

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote