Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:33 PM   #1

ok I just bought my first set of studio lights today (portaflash 3 kit) its the first time I've ever used studio lights, and I only took about 40 shots, so bare with me.

Im looking for Help rather than Critique...

Oh and how do I use a soft box?, lol :/

stuartmoffat.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:06 AM   #2

Hey nie shots. i want to buy a lighting kit also. Yea soft boxes will be perfect for this. i just softened shot using photoshop. should be similar to wat u wil get with softboxes.
did a bit of work on the skin. Portraits seem to look a whole lot nicer when the skin is blending nice. Im not sure if this was the look u were going for.

ken

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:17 AM   #3

Same edit principles as previous shots. didnt want to soften skin too much as stil want it too look guyish

ken

Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:47 AM   #4

Nice shots, but can't really help on the technical side. Out of curiosity . . . what is going on in the second shot?

Syd
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:22 AM   #5

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots, but can't really help on the technical side. Out of curiosity . . . what is going on in the second shot?

Syd
Syd: It was just my first day so we were just having a laugh, so Im not realy sure whats going on lol :P

Ken: Thank you!!!!, thats exactly the look I was going for!, I'm either going to have to start using my soft box or start doing some tutorials on how to soften Images in Photoshop!.....

Thanks again Ken, Ill save the images and show them to Kelly, David & Nat tonight
stuartmoffat.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:50 PM   #6

I can't offer any advice but I do like the 'fun' element to the second photo. I much prefer portraits to appear like they were fun to take.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:45 PM   #7

stuartmoffat.com wrote:
Quote:
Ken: Thank you!!!!, thats exactly the look I was going for!, I'm either going to have to start using my soft box or start doing some tutorials on how to soften Images in Photoshop!.....

Thanks again Ken, Ill save the images and show them to Kelly, David & Nat tonight

Hey no worries. Both edits took me about 5mins each. Its actually very easy. if you want you can post another shot and i can tell you wat i would do.

in this instance it was very very easy as your base image was very well exposed and the levels were very well balanced. You couldnt ask for a better shot to edit with.

I think regardless of having softboxes or not Photoshop will always add that extra punch to any shot no matter how good the original is. No doubt softboxes will get you great results and give you a perfect shot to begin you very fine touches using photoshop.

Just grab urself a copy of photoshop.

ON kelly i used healing brush and eliminated every little dot on her skin. I then masked the skin up excluding eyes, nose, mouth, ears, eye brows and heair and Iused quite a high gaussian level to get the skin nice and soft. (note: everything i don tmaskwill stay nice and sharp)i really liked the blemished on the cheaks so i only partially masked the cheaks to keep tht in there. i thought it added a nice character to the shot. I then only addded a very small portion of noise back into the shot to make the skin apper more real.Noise adds texture. bcse the softening of the skin removes texture adding this back makes the image appear more real. The reason you over soften in the first place is bcse the soften will blend the tone and colours. Once the skin base has a nice smooth colour and tone blend adding back a slight skin texture is easy. I then selected the entire image and i adjusted the levels slightly to increase midtone contrast and to improve the darker definition in the dark areas and tried to reduce highlights slightly to make the image appear more balanced. I increase saturtation every so slightly. I then selected the entire image and did a very slight gasusian blur to add a slight softness to the entire shot. Recroped shot slightly to fill out frame and thats the lot.

On the guys a very similar work flow. Ofcourse i didnt soften there skin as much. On the left guy i tried to leave a fair amount of detail in his stubble. On both guys i removed dots and blemishes on there skin. I added a fair amount of noise back into there skin to look more manly LOL. Then did all the other basic adjustments. You canalso see i was able to pull more detail out of the left guys hair and the right guys polo top by adjusting shadow detiails.

great work and i look fwd to more

ken

Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:31 PM   #8

1st compariosn

ken

Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:37 PM   #9

hey syd,

looks to me like a dispute between football fans! (though i have never heard of the

"loch ness clansmen", meself!:-))

decent work for a first go, stuart.

btw, do you happen to be a scotland resident, mr. moffat?

scot

p.s. nice edit ken. very clean.

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:43 PM   #10

comparison

ken

or se this shot edit here. a different approach.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5

Attached Images