Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:18 PM   #1

I was out walking around on a dreary day snapping random shots with my new D50. One such photo was this bridge in Minneapolis:

As you can see it's drab and lifeless. I half blame my lack of photography skills, and I half blame the lack of light that day. Keep in mind, I'm fairly new to photography as well as photoshop.

So after messing around with photoshop for awhile, this is what I ended up with:

I tried adding some warmth to the shot, as well as bring out the over-exposed sky. One problem I don't know how to fix though is when I used Magic Wand to select the skybox, it left a dark border around the city horizon - giving it a cel-shaded look. I tried getting rid of it, but it's still kind of apparent, giving the shot an "I've been photoshopped" look. The effect is most apparent in the right-hand most light post.

This is my first post on this forum, so I'm just curious what you guys would suggest, or to see what other variations more exprienced photoshoppers can come up with.

Thanks!

:|
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:26 PM   #2

Looks better after the Photoshop, but I like the shot and the lines of the photo. The shot from the bridge is really nice. New to photography myself and I also have a D50. So I am not an expert but I like the shot and the idea.

bgilges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:56 PM   #3

first of all, welcome to steves forums.

on the shot, not bad, but the fact you are standing in the exact middle of the bridge

creates a problem with composition. (the eye gets drawn to the line running from

between your feet instead of the skyline.)

stand off to one side or another and let the lights and rail be what leads you to the

buildings.

as for the p.s.ing of the shot, not bad at all.

here is my take on the original using some basic tweaks and cropping roughly using

the "rule of thirds", where you break the frame in thirds and set your subject(s)

accordingly.

scot

Attached Images

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:00 AM   #4

Between your pp-ed photo and Scott's effort, I think you could get a good picture. You've done a great job with the clouds and the cloning out of the wire in the sky, but yout colour adjustments (saturation increase?) have made the buildings very yellow. I like Scott's composition better, although I'd probably be a bit gentler on his contrast increase.

Cheers,
Ollie :-)
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:23 AM   #5

yeah, ollie.

i agree that i blew out the sky alot with the edit. :angry:

i have to deal with grey skies constantly here in the pacific norhtwest part of the

states.

i'm still working on a way to give the subjects more punch without going nuclear on

the sky!

scot
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:43 AM   #6

G'day all,

thought I would have a go at messing around in PS as well. I didn't go as far with the clouds as you did Soy, but I did take out the powerline overhead.

Hope you like it and don't mind the manipulation.

Ollie

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:11 AM   #7

Please, by all means, manipulate away.

I like how both of your guys' pictures have sharper detail and contrasts in the buildings. Somewhere along the line I kind of washed out my buildings a bit.

Crawford, could you tell me what those "basic tweaks" you did were? I'd like to play around with them a bit.

Thanks again.
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:20 PM   #8

welcome to the forum soy, this is my go at your photo.

Alex
Attached Images

alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:12 PM   #9

I thought the original was a little too warm. Trying to keep close to the original proportions and not Disneyfy the saturation this is about where I would prefer it.
Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:16 PM   #10

the tweaks i used in the original were just some shadow and highlight adjustment

and some sharpening.

here's another quick go...
Attached Images