Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:59 PM   #11

OK, Jaki... (g'day mate!) And to think I wouldnever dare say that b4.... refer to "the rose" thread!

Well, I see your point and it presents an interesting opportunity to use a spare 20 minutes or so of my time when I can find it in and my eyes aren't popping out of my head, to attempt a nice clone out of that 2nd mirror / echo set of flowers / stem in the background.

I'll get back to you all with the edit in time...

Let's see. This is reminding me of my "camping in the mountains" recent landscape post where folk suggested various crops and "cloning" (moving) the tent from one side to the other ... an interesting mix of options and opinions resulted.

Again thanks for reading and writing Jaki!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:08 PM   #12
LT7

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
LT7, so nice of you to view also.... and such an agreeable person you are!

Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you liked the photo too.

All the best, and keep shooting and sharing with us, your skills are an ecouragement to us.

Paul
Paul,

You are welcome, and it is my pleasure. I call them as I see them. Thanks, I will keep shooting and sharing as long as you do the same. I've enjoyed your landscape pictures, and fiance pictures and stories too. I'm constantly challenging myself to improve and learn as well, and am glad that my pictures (good or bad) can help someone somewhere. Hope your eyes got some rest.

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:14 AM   #13

Welcome Paul. Have always read your contributions even on the other fora. So keep posting. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:28 PM   #14

LT7 wrote:
Quote:
Paul,

You are welcome, and it is my pleasure. I call them as I see them. Thanks, I will keep shooting and sharing as long as you do the same. I've enjoyed your landscape pictures, and fiance pictures and stories too. I'm constantly challenging myself to improve and learn as well, and am glad that my pictures (good or bad) can help someone somewhere. Hope your eyes got some rest.

LT
Hi LT, Well I'll be "doing the same" in just a few minutes, that is sharing again... this time the cropped out "2nd / echo stem with flowers". I'm glad you have enjoyed my previously posted photos.

Reading your words made me realise yes, I'm probably obviously (still) a love-struck, landscape-loving guy (who often writes my stories in exhuberent detail!) :-) I think you've summed up the main topics of my posts well, LT!

Well, this cloning exercise has been an exercise in patience... you'll see it soon. Thanks again for your words and reflections, and I hope we both keep learning & improving!

Paul
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:30 PM   #15

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
Welcome Paul. Have always read your contributions even on the other fora. So keep posting. Regards. Jaki.
And Jaki, I do believe you are the thorough reader type, very often I've seen a long series of "last post by"... with your name on various threads in one forum. So I'm glad you also read and view my contributions on other fora also (is "fora" plural for "forum?") :?

OK, here comes the clone soon (sounds like a Star Wars title!!) :blah:

Paul
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:36 PM   #16

Well folks, here is the "single version" of the "fragrant hanging flowers" photo.

I must admit I thought that cloning out the background (out of focus, "echo") stem with flowers would not be too much work seeing as the very background had so much nice blur (thanks lens for some decent bokeh!)

But how wrong I was! When I got rid of the background stem and flowers I couldn't get that "darker spot" (near where the other stem used to be) to look natural or balanced. It just looked too "obvious" and without enough other matching colours nearby to "fade it into" I decided to just make the whole background more of that brown colour. (otherwise it would have been a pixel by pixel try... and obviously that sounds ridiculous).

OK, maybe it shows I'm not a pro at Photoshop... maybe there are much easier techniques, but in the end I spent the best part of an hour finally getting something I was happy with (matched, balanced and fairly smooth) with a combination of cloning (also close in details) as well as blurring (using Gaussian blur).

I will reserve MY own opinion (comparison to the original photo) till you've all had your unbiased say on what you like best:

so is it FIRST version (with the 2 stems) or SECOND version (with only 1 stem!) that you like best?

If I can, I'll try to add a vote to this thread but I'm not sure if I can do that once a thread has already started....

Please do let me know your opinions.... Thanks in advance and best regards to all.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:38 PM   #17

That works nicely. The diagonal here makes the shot work imo.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:42 PM   #18

So Syd, are you saying that you prefer the 2nd version (to the first)? meaning that the ONE diagonal line is stronger (makes it work "more"?)

OR... :lolI'm giggling already!) is it just that you are ALSO a half-pint wonder, and you've had your full pint, so do you STILL see two in the second post? (referring to your comments re Steve Daks' "lighter moments" post)? :blah:

OK.... I caught you on that one, Syd!!

Paul
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:23 PM   #19

Yes Syd, Please pay more attention to what is going on here :blah:
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:15 PM   #20

Still is beautiful, Paul, still is beautiful :-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote