Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Critiques (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 88313] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques/86200-recovered-thread-88313-a.html)

pj1974 Apr 9, 2006 4:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone!

Today it was truly (and finally :!:) a beautiful, warm spring day. After a friendly game of soccer (football) with some friends, I ventured into Cluj's Botanical Gardens.... camera at the ready.

At one point I came across these beautiful young spring flowers, which not only appealed to me aesthetically with their sweet "hanging" formation but also which filled the nearby air with the sweetest aroma. (I have no idea what flowers these are, maybe someone could enlighten me. I didn't happen to notice if it had a name / description attached).

Anyway, I'd appreaciate your comments, critiques, and any suggestions for improvements, etc... After all this IS the "critiques and techniques" forum!! :blah:

Thanks in advance...

Paul

bahadir Apr 9, 2006 7:00 PM

Good use of DOF with the blurring background providing also a parallel aesthetical object of OOF.
These are the days, our eyes are wandering around to establish some sort of balance, ain't it :-)
Well done Paul.

pj1974 Apr 9, 2006 7:50 PM

Bahadir,

It's basically possible to count on an insightful and kind comment from you. Indeed, the very nature of the two parallel but diagonally down-sloping flower stems and flowers made it an interesting composition - the reason I decided to capture these little sweet fragrent flowers.

Thanks for looking... now my eyes are looking for SLEEP!

Have a good week, Bahadir,

Paul

Aumma45 Apr 10, 2006 1:09 AM

And I will add that the angle from which the stem is viewed makes it interesting. At least it is unique in its own right. I think it is a lovely capture. :cool: Regards. Jaki.

LT7 Apr 10, 2006 1:13 AM

Have to agree with Bahadir and Jaki again on this one, great job Paul!

LT

pj1974 Apr 10, 2006 3:35 AM

Thanks Jaki!

I always appreciate reading your feedback, it is welcomed as I also enjoy viewing many of your photos.

Have a good week, filled with sweet fragrances wherever you go! :-)

Paul

pj1974 Apr 10, 2006 3:36 AM

LT7, so nice of you to view also.... and such an agreeable person you are!

Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you liked the photo too.

All the best, and keep shooting and sharing with us, your skills are an ecouragement to us.

Paul

LadyhawkVA Apr 10, 2006 10:06 AM

I really like this just as it is. The blurred "echo" image in the background works very nicely. Since this is C&T, however, I will offer one suggestion (and it may stink): what do you think of cloning out the second branch in the background? Will it work, or will it be too much empty space?

pj1974 Apr 10, 2006 12:27 PM

Hi LadyhawkVA!

Thanks for looking, and I am also glad you appreciate the photo, including the "echo image" in the background, out of the DOF.

Well I never considered cloning out the background stem / flowers, actually perhaps it would have been easier to recompose and take that photo WITHOUT the 2nd (background) stem / flowers. I don't have time now, but if I do I might try to clone out the 2nd set and see how it looks.

However anyone who wants to give it a go (the cloning LadyHawk VA) suggested is very free to (of course!) Yes, after all it IS the critiques and techniques section.

I'm actually quite curious to see what it might look light now (you've raised my curiousity) though to be honest I just saw both of them as the best composition "at the time". But you never know.

So if someone beats me to it... cloning out the 2nd set of flowers / stem, we'll see! Of course any opinions on which is the preferred version are welcome here!

Thanks again for your interesting suggestion and I'm glad you liked the photo too, LadyHawkVA.

Paul

Aumma45 Apr 10, 2006 3:13 PM

Paul, I had thought of the same thing as LadyhawkVA but decided against eliminating that mirror or echoe image. It is has a certain parrallelness it gives the picture especially with that kind of dof and the very clearly focussed branch. Also think it will leave a vast empty space that is being occupied now:G. But for curiosity sake, you might try and see what the picture would look like without it. Just an opinion.

Regards. Jaki.