Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:04 AM   #1

G'day all,

took this shot this even. Played around with it in PP to fix up some noise and what not. Hand held shot but seemed to come out good. I also did a crop top and bottom. I would have taken more off the top but I didn't want to cut off the masts from the ship.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Ollie

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:58 AM   #2

I love the subject, composition and reflections, but the lights appear a bit hot to me.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:44 AM   #3

G'day Ladyhawk,

you know I was just thinking the same thing myself. Everytime I look at it they seem to get brighter and brighter....but I am actually having trouble reducing it.

So if anyone wants to some put a small amount of manipulation work into the few sections of overly bright lighting please do so.

Alternatively I might have another shot I can fix up and use instead.

Ollie
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:11 PM   #4

G'day,

ok with a bit of help from my loverly girlfriend, the lights have been toned down a bit. Hope this is better

Ollie

Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:31 PM   #5

That's better with the light reduction. Nice picture!
Aaron Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:49 PM   #6

YOu have done much better on the second one. I like the background very much. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:41 AM   #7

G'day guys,

well thanks for the comments. And yes the second is much better. I was actually down by the docks again today having lunch with the missus, and thought I would take another shot of the dock except now it is a day time shot.
Two shots for comparison, day time shot of last nights shot(although not exactly aligned last nights shot) and a B&W version(daytime)

Tell me what you all think.

Ollie

Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:28 AM   #8

Hi Ollie!

as I'm a Tasweigan a long way away (livin' in Transylvania) I guess I get the right to reply, right?

I like all the three versions (shots) but I agree that the lights in the nighttime one as a bit too bright / "hot". But the light reflections in the water on the night time shot are great.

My favourite is the colour daytime one. The sky colour and things like dark water, and other things just seem to fit best for me in the colour mode. I like it. And of course I miss Hobart (and my family) when I see shots like this. (even though I'm a northerner from Launceston).

Is it me, or are the daytime photos somewhat tilted clockwise (down to the right?) There is not a huge area of horizon to judge on, but I get this feeling from the angle of the building, masts, and other boats in the background too, etc.

Still, might just be my eyes (but usually I'm pretty good at judging this). In anycase, nice photos and thanks for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:23 AM   #9

G'day there,

you now you might be right on that angle thing. I have a feeling when I took the pic I had the focus point on something along the dock which might have looked straight at the time but in fact wasn't at all. I can fix it if you wish. Or you can. It would only be half a degree out or so.

Launceston huh, I have been there quite a few times but I can't say it is my favourite place. Although I will give you this, it is way better then anything else up along that top coast line. Burnie etc.... Like being in a ghost town some of those places.

Ollie