Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:23 PM   #1

Quick shot of still objects as I was making breakfast. I can never get a decent picture out of fruits and vegetables when I try for a still life masterpiece, and then...bam! It hit me. My hunger drove me mad, enough to think this looked presentable enough for a quick shot. Too much light on the right...and ???

Kd
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:41 PM   #2

Just looks a little soft to me, (apart from the eggs which look hard boiled):G. Thats some breakfast sandwich you're making there. Canadian speciality or unusual hangover cure?:?
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:20 PM   #3

Looks a little RED to me! :lol:

hope you enjoyed breakfast!
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:21 PM   #4

Oops..sorry, my SENDfinger must have slipped.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:33 PM   #5

Cool shot!
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:46 PM   #6

The softness is deliberate, I confess. There's an effect in photo suite that softens and makes the focus a little wonky that they call "oilpaint". I like the look it gives an often use it on as low a setting as I can get, and the result is what you see. The breakfast is served minus the loaf. I was in the middle of chopping for an omelette (with one L ) when I chucked that loaf in to make it look more "kitchenly". It never occured to me that it might imply I was making a sandwhich. Buh-luch...!!! An egg and pepper and onion sandwhich. Egad...:G

Kd
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:49 PM   #7

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
I like this. Nicely exposed.
Thanks Syd...enjoyed your alienesque shot. Wonder if they'll get Dustin back by easter?

Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:46 PM   #8

Ken, you are cut out for good things. :G Did see any invitation from you. Since you say the softness was deliberate, I shall make no pronouncement. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:12 AM   #9

Hey Kenneth,
It is a little too bright on the right as you mention, and I think this is a shot that doesn't need the soft filter. Either make it more obvious or don't do it(IMHO), it may look better on a full size shot and lost it when it was reduced to post, but right now, it looks like it is just out of focus. I think the idea has some potential for a nice kitchen print. Some ideas for next time, control the light on the right better, frame out the front of the counter on the bottom and since this is a breakfast shot, loose the loaf and crackers at the top, include some mixing bowls you use to mix up the eggs at the top of the frame, generally just get things nice and neat and seem like "that goes there". I do like the idea of spelling red with the red pepper.
P.S. I'm with Jaki though, my invitation must have been lost in the mail too...:blah:
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:04 AM   #10

I was going to say something trite such as 'the sharpnessappears to be all in the knife' but thought that might have been a tad hurtful, knowing the sensitive soul that you are. Since you mentioned the intentional softness, I thought I'd say it anyway:G

Nice shot but I think these sort of compositions work best when they are sharp and contrasty?

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote