Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:28 AM   #11

I didn't give a character bash Syd. And will ignore your synopses of mine.

I have not posted much recently, and people are more than free to give an honest opinion on anything I post. I have certainly not given anything other than an honest opinion about the shots here that I have seen.

You mention that I'm not commenting much on others posts. Its true because I don't want to give negative critique, however its sometimes all I can offer. The negative stuff, some people are able use and to understand as a way of improving. For many others its just a downer.

I really don't want to cause disharmony.And I have been on this forum for a little while without that being said. Syd this is a critique forum.

What I'm getting at is maybe quality is better than quantity.

The bottom line is that the photograph above has no photographic merits other than a simple shot that could be taken by anyone pointing a camera randomly. If your not man enough to understand that, fine. If you don't like my stuff, thats fine too, I don't take anything personally about it.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you.

Ps, your character assassination is off themark, I think you have picked me up wrongly.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:36 AM   #12

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
I really don't want to cause disharmony.And I have been on this forum for a little while without that being said. Syd this is a critique forum.
You are also telling a few fibs I think. Here's a response from someone else a few pages back to one of your errudite critiques . . .

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
flowers again. Nice to see the high level of photographic imagination on these forums.

Are you all too frightened to take that expensive equipment any further than your back gardens ?

"Well, Mr. "All I can do is insult and be sarcastic", this shot happens to have been taken at the botanical gardens up in Toronto, which is several hundred miles from my back garden. Iwonder why someone such as yourself does nothing on a forum except go around and insult other people or their work. Nearly every post you make is degrading or flippant. I'm not sure why you waste your own time just to do that, is your life really *that* dull that this is fun for you?!

Oh, and, I'll be sure to tell the world of photography that every possible good shot of a flower has been taken and flower photos are no longer permitted in the sci-art of photography."

And yet another response . . .

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
flowers again. Nice to see the high level of photographic imagination on these forums.

Are you all too frightened to take that expensive equipment any further than your back gardens ?

"I hate to say it, but that seems pretty rude to me. Flowers are a thing of natural beauty just as everything else in nature is. Many people love flowers, and spend their entire lives cultivating them to perfection. Photography is about photographing what you like. We should not put down pictures of flowers, sunsets, and waterfalls merely because they are commonly photographed. Each one is different and unique, and if you do not appreciate a picture, you can say so, but you don't have to be rude about it."

You didn't/don't even have the common decency to respond to these two remarks. Seems your MO is to say something incredibly sarcastic, arrogant and extremely rude, then run away before your remarks are challenged. What a nasty coward you appear to be.

So, please don't give me any crap that you've been around awhile and never caused any offence or problems with anyone, AKA ~ disharmony. Perhaps you would like me to quote a few more examples?

"Dear LBoy,

I really appreciate your value suggestions and advice on how to improve this shot. Photography is just my hobby and therefore I'm not using it for a living or competition at the moment. I've just entered this field since March 2005 and I've not participated in any photography course yet. I am still learning it. On the contrary, you may be a pro and it is your living so our point of view is different.

I really appreciate someone's constructive comments like yours which should be straightforward to my works but I can't accept offensive comments and words like "stupid, silly" arrogantly used. I think you have read the forum rules and hope you bear this in mind."

and . . .

Lboy, you remind me of that lonely 7th grade bully that didn't know any other way to get attention but to poke fun at other people. Funny thing is, though, I saw thatguy at our 10 year reunion, and he had grown up. He seemed to be a decent, civil guy. You could learn a thing or two from him I'll bet, you used to have a lot in common.

and with incredible audacity . . .LBoy wrote:

Quote:
.Ps, your character assassination is off themark, I think you have picked me up wrongly.
Maybe so. Perhaps you need to put a little thought into how you address things and approach matters. In my opinion you really do seem a very cold and arrogant person.

I do take your points on the quality over quantity issue, but I'm trying to learn here. Not just post what I think are already great images worthy for mass markets.

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:48 AM   #13

Maybe it comes across like that. I am sitting at work and I had a spare 15 min.

I'm in a rush and maybe thats why. I did try to add some smiles as I knew I was being very formalas such inthe time I had.

Anyway need to go.

I cant win. I praised someone's photograph and said I had something similar previously in my home. Only to be told I'm cold and like to cause disruption.

ps. I don't pick a choose on here. The person who took the photograph I like above has had plenty of critique not always positive. That what is all about after all.

Problem with e-mail is that smilies are not enough to convey the sentiments indented.

take it easy.

Have a good Easter.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 8:10 AM   #14

come on you to kiss and make up. :ak47::flame:

HAPPY EASTER.Alex

alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 8:21 AM   #15

[align=center]HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE![/align]
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Iwonder why someone such as yourself does nothing on a forum except go around and insult other people or their work. Nearly every post you make is degrading or flippant. I'm not sure why you waste your own time just to do that, is your life really *that* dull that this is fun for you?!

Well?
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:47 AM   #17

I wondered whether this fun edit of the original post has any more appeal. I was thinking along the lines of an artsy advertisement type image. Your constructive comments welcomed as always.

Regards,

Syd

Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:16 PM   #18

The enforced symmetry ruins it for me. My kid has some software that creates just this kind of image.
jcepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:59 PM   #19

I had a discussion months ago, and a few since then, questioning the direction of the Critiques forum. A couple in particulair were members who take photography very seriously. I know we have all gone the same route, each of us have taken an assortment of photography courses since joining Steve's, in an effort to increase our knowledge and skills, and to be more astute in PP. I wasn't surprised that the opinions they passed on to me were concerns for the Critique forum as in it was annoying to them that a large number of posts were run of the mill "look at this" type of shots, not really members seemingly bent on a journey of self improvement. The Critiques forum was created to allow members to critique and dissect as they see fit, (within forum guidelines) without contributing members getting bent out of shape at the critisizm. My response to my friends was thatI agreed the flavor had changed, and fewer members were submitting their work with the serious intent on masterful improvement via enlightening critique. Having said that, I encouraged them to continue submitting their work. There is no category for the "interesting eh?" photograph, and Critiques is as close as you'll find. Every other category is limited to one subject, or one theme. I think there is enough room in Critiques for the whole spectrum from all submitters. For serious photography on one end where every nuance is considered, to quick shots, on the spur of the moment, every type can be accepted and judged and commented on, even the humorous subjects. No one is twisting our arm to respond to any of them, and we are able to sort out those we identify with from those we don't. Even when I have no clue about a photograph, I sometimes get a heads up in some of the comments it attracts. Even nonsense has a positive side to it, as you never know when a bit of frivolity will yield a surprising photograph. After a long stint at pursuing the serious aspects of our hobby, I changed gears for a bit and pursued subjects based on colors, weather phenomena, sports, street photography, and some light hearted goofing around. It changed my perspective, but not my intent. I was still bent on getting great pictures where and if I could. The variety that's here now, will change as we go along. I think we should all keep shooting and go with the flow.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:00 PM   #20

That paragraph was very difficult to read.
MarkString is offline   Reply With Quote