Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:17 PM   #31

Oh, the edit.

actually i never saw the edit.

it works more for me in terms of an original imige with some originality. i had a play. hope you dont mind. dont know if it adds anything.
Attached Images

vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:35 PM   #32

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
What about the strawbwerries? :?
Oh ya....the strawberries!!!! Syd, I love strawberries. This last edit does not do strawberries the justice they deserve. Color and focus, are ok, but when I see the induced symmetry, to my eye, it reduces the lusciousness of the fruit to a mere display of symetical color. That could work for me, if I weren't already attatched to the original concept, where you present this as an offering of fresh, delicious looking fruit. If I were asked to choose, I'd choose the original, for it's appeal to the lover of fresh fruit that I am. Can you work on something with less circular symmetry? This being spring and all, I am starting to see (sorry but I love to eat) all kinds of colorful fresh fruits and veggies in the markets, and I plan to post some more food related produce type shots. The strawberry is an asymetrical tho still beautiful subject. Hats off for the original. (apologies for spelling)

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:47 PM   #33

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
What about the strawbwerries? :?

As I was saying, before the diversion .......... :G

But it's all right.
That is I think it's not too bad.
Let me take you down,
‘Cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hungabout.
Strawberry Fields forever

Any comment on my Trashed salad, by the way?

Attached Images

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:54 PM   #34

Wait 'till you see my new mango and avacado series . . .
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:09 PM   #35

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
Any comment on my Trashed salad, by the way?

Isn't photography fun eh!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:45 PM   #36

No, you halfwit

You're supposed to say what a great composition it is, how nice and sharp it is and how well the colours and tones blend together- complimented bythe altogether very original framing technique - all of whichtook about10 seconds flat in FastStone Image Viewer (not thatanyone wouldever guess mind you).

By the way, your strawberries s-u-c-k.

Last time I participate in propagating your cosy little clique.

:blah:

Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:57 PM   #37

Steve, what a great composition and how nice and sharp it is. It is lovely how the colours and tones blend together nicely and all complimented beautifully by your original framing technique too.

:yawn:

HappySnapper Syd
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:00 PM   #38

Why thank you Syd, most kind of you to say so.Your strawberries are good too.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:42 AM   #39

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
The Critiques forum was created to allow members to critique and dissect as they see fit, (within forum guidelines) without contributing members getting bent out of shape at the critisizm. My response to my friends was thatI agreed the flavor had changed, and fewer members were submitting their work with the serious intent on masterful improvement via enlightening critique.
Hi all; just thought I'd throw my two cents in. As a fairly new member I may have a different take on the "Critiques forum". I believe that it is only through commenting on others work that we learn more about our own. Every observation a person makes forces them to think, therefore explore their own views.

It is also by exploring other work that we learn what we like and dislike. So forums like this one encourage active debate. It makes a person think about things like subject matter, angles, how much PP is too much. A certain flower, or a basket of strawberries may be uninteresting to one person, but it might encourage the next to explore newer and brighter colours.

Even the "run of the mill" shots have merit as they are all part of the learning process. If by viewing and critiquing an image a person learns just something small, they in turn will think that little bit more on a similar shot.

For the more experienced photographers this might seem humdrum, but even experts don't create masterpieces every time.To quote Shakespeare: "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."

As I said, just my two cents...

kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:16 AM   #40

Hi,

I have not been available to participate (only read a little)on this site for some time due to a new member of the family so to speak. So I hope members dont mind me giving a point of view here.

I thinkyou areone hundred percent right in what you are saying Kefln. However if those shots that you are talking about are coming straight from camera, 6 per person each day, the ability of the participants to give any sort of rational critique is diminished. It is then that it also becomes apparent that those shots are being presented not for wanting of the good critique but due to the obsession of appearing on the board and for dialog with friendly mates.

After all there are many areas in Steves that are more appropriate for casual photographs to be presented, where one can express to the other "I like it ","I dont like it", "where were you last night" etc,rather than the critiques area. The critique page then becomes a dumping ground of 10s of photographs showing only "what I did at the weekend"

Now if thats what patrons want then fine. Do we than have to ask for a further page in Steves titled "Critique - (only photographic critique this time - I mean it!)" or will that page then be swamped also?

We all know these pages are not moderated very deeply and we are left to our own devises. This is a good thing. However it is also obvious to me (apart from the last week or so when this subject has been raised again) that the critiques page has slipped into what is essentially a photographic bucket forall types of photography - mostly snaps. Again to reiterate there are 10 of so other sections for that.

Then as soon as others try to help the page, or even if those photographs are heavily critiqued, offense is taken and the thread turns into a flame war. It comes across as a little bit ridiculous really.

Anyway its not totallyacross the board and by no meansare my thoughts directed at the majority of patrons who generallydo a fantastic job here.

Ialso have read thatthis had all been discussed in many cases before.

Justmy point of view.

Kind regards.

vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote