Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:14 AM   #11

thanks a lot ken! thanks again to you rhino, i really appreciate your suggestion about moving the right one in the center, i think it really made this work, and i'm really proud of how it turned out.

-mj-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:32 PM   #12

Just to raise a contrarian voice: I think that the original ordering is much to be preferred. Your girlfriend appears to be making a coherent motion, turning toward the camera and walking toward you, in the left-to-right sequence. The rearrangement makes no dramatic sense -- it just puts the most frame-filling picture of her in the center. If you think of a triptych as a story, the first is the most coherent. If you are looking purely for some sort of across-the-three-images visual balance without respect to coherence of story, you could justify the proposed change in order. But I don't think that really optimizes the medium of the triptych. FWIW

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:52 PM   #13

that's what made me a little hesitant about changing the order.
however, i think that it works because it balances out the photo series as a whole. the story, i dont think, needs to be told in exact sequential order, after all there's not much story, other than her walking around a tree in the park. so i think if i sacrifice the order a bit, in order to make the overall image more appealing to the eye, it works. i see exactly what you're saying though, and i thought that too. but i kept looking at the original and my eye was just drawn to the right, it was following the path very well. but bringing the right photo in the middle forces you to glance at the other two and sort of makes it seem more like you're involved in the photo, like she's staring directly at you. least that's what i think.

-mj-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:47 PM   #14

Perhaps "story' is too strong a word. Substitute the phrase "narrative coherence." ISTM that a triptych wants to have coherence on that level as well as (perhaps more than) visual balance across the images. Ideally, of course, it would have both. But throwing the narrative into confusion calls the point of the entire triptych into doubt I think. But you have already understood my view, and the judgement of the artist is final!

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 3:46 PM   #15

Hi,

I myself am new to the word "triptych". However I have seen these style of shots before... I prefer the original too - something about the large, fuller frame shot in the middle just makes it a little too symetrical. The original is really cool though! A great idea well presented. Contrasty b+w is really nice...

Regards,
Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote