Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 16, 2006, 2:37 PM   #1

Hi,

I am looking for some comments on my first attempt at a portrait of my baby boy.I got my missus and my stepmum to hold a pink sheet behind william and he was sitting on one of those hairy rug things. The effect I used on the backgroundwas an attempt to cover up the wrinkles and the folds in the sheet - work or not?

I myself am very pleased with the result. This was taken without a flash - he was sitting right by a large window which gave me plenty of natural light to use.

I would really appreciate comments on pose, exposure, and general composition.

Thanks,
Dom

Attached Images

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 3:39 PM   #2

That's a very lovely capture, Dom. His restless right hand is caught in the air while he's scheming his next action under the disguise of a little lamb with a clever half smile!! However I find the pink sheet a bit much distracting with its very neat pattern or effect. It seems as if the camera focused on this sheet rather than the baby. IMO, you could select the background for blurring in the PS and maybe give a little more sharpening and saturation to the cute subject. Plus a little cropping off from the top would emphasize him more.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:04 PM   #3

Hi,

I myself was not too happy with the pink - so i made a change to blue. Any better? Also shaved a little off the top too.

Thanks,
Dom
Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:11 AM   #4

hey dom

this is a great shot. you have captured a very cheaky smile

I also find the right arm a lil distracting as its moved and showin up a lil soft and blurrd from motion. I also find the backing distracting. I do thnk the blue tone is a better take on it but i feel the texture of the backing steals alot of emphisis of the subject. i think a nice smooth mat backing would be better suited.

just my thoughts.

But regardless a great capture of a great emotion. Must be hard to keep em stil aye :G

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5

Dom, I also find the blue background a better match.
After all, he is a baby boy, isn't he?:-)
I see that Ken quite reasonably complaints about the distracting backing texture, as I did. So, I wanted to do sth. about this and maybe a bit further.
I hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:29 PM   #6

i would say the blue background works better. Could you lower the intensity just a little to the t-shirt. It is a bit bright and might help the eyes focus more on the lovely face.
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:27 PM   #7

i do like the edit shot with the softer backing. focus seems more precise on the subject

nice edit

ken

Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:39 PM   #8

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all for your comments. That background wasa photoshoppedattempt to make a single bed sheet look a little more interesting! Guess I got it wrong... nevermind!

So I have returned it to its plain original state and made it blue. Have also blurred it so as to not be a distraction. Also have reduced the intensity of the white shirt. What do you all think now?

Thanks,
Dom

Edit: The background looks really lame on here - was maybe the size reduction it looks a lot better at full size...

Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:31 PM   #9

That's good, Dom. I'd rate it higher than the first one.
You know, our eyes tend to fill the gaps with opposite colours. So, how do you consider a greenish background in order to intensify the slight pinkness on his cheeks?
Btw, here I would like to thank Ken for his appreciation to my edit(if I'm not mistaken:G),and indicate my agreement with vindolanda's thought.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:23 PM   #10

no worries bahadir

Great final edit DOM, i think this looks much better. the soft backing complimnts tht soft portrait look

shots looks great

did u use gausian blur for this backing?

ken