Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:23 AM   #11

Hi,

The first image I find quite beautiful. There is something about the darkness of what is to the right of your subject - not sure why but it just hasnt got the glow that the main area of the sky in the left has. Really cant quite put my finger on it.... but the light shining through the leaves and the colours are really quite something. I think the composition is ace!

The second one IMO could be sharper. Not a total write-off but I personally like to see the entire stamen in focus - also as there is some pollen fallen onto the petals that could have been nice to see it more in focus too. The colour is a little intense - not sure if this is out of camera or not but have to admit it is a cheerful bright "summer enducing" orange!

Dom

p.s. Peri has obviously adopted some sort of secret code with his responses!

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:46 AM   #12

Really like the first shot. The detail in the leaves as the light shines through them really sets this one off

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:57 AM   #13

i like the soft color and light in the first, the second doesn't do anything for me either....
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:38 PM   #14

LBoy,

I like the first one very much. The second has some merit but seems a bit tight and a tad soft. It may be what you are after in that shot but it does not grab my attention as the first.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:26 PM   #15

Thanks everyone.

Really appreciate everyone efforts to give a critique on these. I'm glad you all liked the first one and now I know with the righttype work on the second, itmay offer some improvement. Maybe maybe not. Will go away and try some stuff with that one.

Many thanks.

L.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:27 PM   #16

I like looking at the first one, I think I'll go and look at it some more. Do you have a website where I can look at more of your images?
MarkString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:01 AM   #17

A very good concept with the first shot and I think you have done well to retain detail in both the shadows and highlights.

The second shot is one of those shots people will either love or hate - it has definate impact. I like the simplicity. Totally orange photos can be a bit jarring and often need a cool color to balance it but I think this one works. My only wish is that the entire stamen was sharp.

By the way, from what Syd said, I've picked up you do photography professionally. May I ask in what field (ie are you a PJ, portrait shooter, fine art, ect.)

Cheers
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:42 PM   #18

Thanks John for your thoughts. Definitely need to sort that second one. I can t even remember if I sharpened now ? :lol:

To your question

only a simple Simple sloppy PJ. :|but don't shout it out... it gets me shot .

Portrait shooter, fine art you ask..cough splutter, now way///... I really hold my hat off to those guys.

Still, trying to learn some of their tricks hahaha
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:30 PM   #19

Woah, those are really neat composures. You just gave me a couple ideas.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:21 AM   #20

Thanks for letting me know LBoy. Consider yourself very fortunate, I'd take being a PJ over being in the IT industry any day.

Please don't be offended by this question. I've heard alot of posters refer to you as "she", probably cause of you avatar, but then the LBoy alias throws me off, so do you mind me asking if you're a girl or a guy?
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote