Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:34 PM   #1

Received some critique that previous photos were cold. Don't know so much about the subject matter, but at least some warm colours here in anticipation of a nice summer.

working on a new version, hold tight.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:35 PM   #2

and very orange ... :-)

working on a better version... backsoon

Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:30 PM   #3

I love your wit !
RedRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:44 PM   #4

Yep, you've got two beautiful shots LB. Specially the 1st one! Great work!
The orange one is good too, the composition even when it is simple is perfect! you made the perfect crop!

what can i say, i did not see a bad picture from you... and i must confess i've seen every picture your posted here! :|
JaviZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:13 PM   #5

both are quite lovely.

btw LB, where's the plastic container the flowers came in? :blah:

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:02 PM   #6

cool photos LBoy. i think the second one is a bit too bright for me, idk it just seems like if you upped the contrast or something there'd be more detail in the actual stems or whatever (not a botanist). nice seasonal shots

-mj-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:00 AM   #7

I really like the first shot. Great texture and nice foreground/background contrast. The second shot has a nice color but doesn't have a whole lot to grip me. Is there more to the first shot? The crop seems cramped to me. Perhaps at full size it doesn't.
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:28 AM   #8

I really do like the execution and presentation of the 1st image. The colours are rich and contrast well with lighter cloud formation. I like the detail in the leaves and the shadows that reinforce their transparent quality.

The 2nd image... I have to agree with Mike. The left side of the image seems very soft. I would like to see more detail. It still would be a nice image if it were stting on my desk in the middle of winter!!!
RedRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:12 AM   #9

If I had taken the first shot myself, I would be very pleased with the result. It's a rather pleasant shot. I would be pleased as I have really only taken photography seriously in the last few months. I only have a budget bridge camera with a fixed lens and have no training or deep understanding whatsoever (I only came accross the rule of thirds about two months back). Photoshop and photo editing is even newer to me and I haven't yet grasped the basics. So, the first shot would be a very pleasing result for me if I had taken it and perhaps one for the foundation course portfolio.

Having said that, for someone who has studied photography in depth, and is already a professional photographer with the very best in camera and lens equipment, someone expert in manipulation of images, I would personally be a little dispointed with the results I was producing. I have recently spent much time looking at images from others on other sites and places and have been astounded by them. Many taken from beginers with budget equipment. I find it both humbling and encouraging.

I am not attempting to put down the above first image in any way, as I quite like it. It is just that for one as experienced, knowledgeable, travelledand equipped as yourself I would have expected to see something much, much, better from you by now. Hows about trying something a little different and original, with perhaps an unforced or non modelled human element, and maybe without the clever manipulation. See it as a challenge if that inspires you. I know you are capable of much more than this.

The second shot imo is a looser.

Kind regards,

Syd

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:17 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am not attempting to put down the above first image in any way, as I quite like it.
Indeed, absent of any real way of putting down the image, you are attempting to put down LBoy directly, despite the fact that the images she produces are markedly superior to anything most of us can manage. Did she ever claim to be the best photographer in the world? Never mind eh? Best to keep her in her place anyway.

Your comment is completely devoid of any kind of critique.

Quote:
The second shot imo is a looser.
One presumes you mean "loser", which is not a collocation that is generally found, the adjective is generally applied to people not inanimate objects. If you're going to be rude, could you not at least make the effort to use correct grammer? I find putdowns are far more effective when they actually have a meaning in common use, rather than forcing the reader to guess.

Have you read the forum guidelines lately? I fail to see how your comment can conceivably be regarded as acceptable.

LB
Regarding the images...

#2 is about as good as macro flower stuff can be. There is colour and texture and the composition is good. Whether you should have had greater depth-of-field is perhaps a personal reaction, and I can respect the artists' decision here, either would probably be fine. For people who like that sort of thing it is an excellent shot. I do think there is nowhere to go with that sort of shot in terms of originality however, and although such shots can be pleasant to look at they don't really float my boat. It's quite possibly of commercial value however, one sees this sort of thing hanging on the walls of offices all over the City.

#1 is far more interesting. Using a translucent object to obscure the sun is an excellent technique to help with getting a good exposure when shooting directly into the sunlight. It's often done with cloth - flags are good, but I like the use of the foliage here. And the convergence of the colour in the clouds and the colour of the leaves is a very good find, lucky thing, or perhaps not , that you had your camera along when the opportunity presented itself. This certainly does display a degree of originality that is not often seen in sunset shots.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote