Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:11 PM   #1

public wall for writing/celebration of free speech.
who doubted it would become a public forum.

-mj-
www.pbase.com/mikej86
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:43 AM   #2

On the one hand Mike, this could be simply described as a shot of some writing on a wall. If we put aside the content and context of the writing the image leaves us with very little to critique.

However, one image I remember seeing time and time again and one that was repeated again and again, one that led to much controversy,was simply an image of writing on a wall.Following the publication of the imagein many other publications, thosesame words werecopied, written and echoed everywhere one looked it seemed at the time. The words simply stated;

"Eric Clapton is God."

For such an image to work the writing on the wall is the primary aspect. Having said that,someone who has the eye to see and record that effectively is the true photo-journalist working under his or her own direction. This very photo shows that there is much, much,more to the photographer than the expertise of taking a simple photograph of a wall.

Well done Mike for posting some real photojournalism and as good as any I've seen.

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:23 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well done Mike for posting some real photojournalism and as good as any I've seen.
Pretentious comment warning - skip if likely to wind you up... :blah:

For Syd to be correct the crucial point of course is whether this is the start of a phenomenon or simply someone expressing a very quotidian conspiracy theory on a wall put there for people to write on.

Considering the fact that it's hardly an original thought, and was voiced by some within minutes of the events referenced, I somewhat doubt this is going to be anything like "Clapton is God".

So I think Syd has it wrong.

Is the photograph then completely without merit?

Well not necessarily, my interpretation is that the artists intention was to make a wry comment about taking a comment from a different kind of public forum and by photographing it and posting it on a photography forum give it a different and interesting context.

So I do think it works very well in its own way and think it is good, unfortunately I don't think it's excellent because the text has no particular relevance or irony in the context of this forum, and to be really striking it would need to have something like that.

If this new genre takes off though this photograph may become important as the start of something really interesting.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:30 AM   #4

I think Craig, that you are becoming rather predictable and see through.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:19 PM   #5

i simply thought it was an interesting photograph, havin these two ideas/ideologies side by side on a public display of free speech. i also liked the cloth texture and the colors very much. thanks for both of your comments.

johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:41 AM   #6

I like this shot for its simple texture and writing itself.

There is an almost childlike feel to the text, the swirl to the first "W", the whimsical use of capital letters and direction in the words. The complete lack of correct punctuation…Add in the meaning behind the words and it becomes almost comical.

I agree with Syd on the photojournalistic nature of the shot. Not so much about the content, but the mind that wrote it. The child-like writing, the adult conspiracy theory, back to child-like for the defiance at the end "W still the president". This photo really opens a can of worms into the nature of people, those that write on walls and those that "believe" in conspiracies where the "government is out to get us".

kefln is offline   Reply With Quote