Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:16 AM   #1

Hi everyone. I present to you, my fiance.

These two shots were very challenging. The walls of the room are pink, the curtains are orange and there was stray natural light coming from everywhere in all sorts of colours.

I placed my flash behind her to compliment the natural light that was coming through the window and hung a white sheet up in front of her to bounce the light. I also put a white sheet over her orange bed cover to make the colours more neautral.

Portrait photography is definately my weakness and I'm trying very hard to improve, so be brutal if you think the photos deserve it, its the only way I'll learn.
Attached Images

JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:18 AM   #2

Here is the second shot - I don't really like it though.
Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:05 AM   #3

Hey John

This is a great shot. You have kept the shot so well exposed. All the detail still prsent in all the white. its great. Image is nice and sharp and appear very natural. Lighting is very nice and flattering and i do like the composition of this shot. You have capturd a great expression which i think really makes this shot.

Umm its hard to critique this shot bcse i like it so much. Maybe thinking it would be cool to try this shot with her hair laid out over the bed. Maybe even try revealing the neck a little more as well to give a much longer look. Expressions are great bcse they are just so natural. Cant critique anything there. Technically i think the shot is brilliant. I guess just play around with postures and poses.

Yea shot 2 for me is nowhere near the brilliance of shot 1. The shot appears maybe too candid and doesnt communicate as well.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the critique Ken. I took about 10 shots of her on her bed in different poses and positions and these two were my favourate of the lot, although 1 IMO is way better then 2.

I've noticed in my portraiture, for me, there are very few where the expression, lighting and pose all come together to compliment eachother. I have great respect for the masters of this discipline. I always thought it would be easy, been able to control the lighting (in a real studio), but being able to capture the expression and pose, so they all tell a story is quite difficult!

Thanks again for the critique.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:48 AM   #5

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:
I've noticed in my portraiture, for me, there are very few where the expression, lighting and pose all come together to compliment eachother. I have great respect for the masters of this discipline. I always thought it would be easy, been able to control the lighting (in a real studio), but being able to capture the expression and pose, so they all tell a story is quite difficult!

Thanks again for the critique.
Ha i no exactly what you mean

i enjoy shooting flowers, weird stuff and landscapes but when it comes to portraits its so hard to get it all together. I still dont have the luxury of my own lighting kit yet but yea its difficult alright. I just try to study other ppls work and take it from there. But yes your shot 1 is great. i would be very happy with tht result. you should be

ken

hey and look at tht you are my 1000th post.

Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:58 AM   #6

Congrats on your milestone. You putting me to shame, as I joined before you!
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:08 AM   #7

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:
Congrats on your milestone. You putting me to shame, as I joined before you!

haha quantity vs quality aye
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:23 AM   #8

I wish it were true. Acually its cause I started at a busier job.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:20 AM   #9

Hi John love # 1 , she has a lovely smile, not posed and looks so natural and relaxed. Image wise you got things spot on there.

In # 2 I find the left arm looks a little arkward to me and covers a little to much of her chin.
Nice work though
Cheers Geoff
limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:06 PM   #10

I can't really give any educated or experienced critique other than to say that both shots look very nice. Very pretty lady too.

Syd
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote