Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:56 PM   #1

Hi all,

I took this shot before my sojourn in the USA, from which I have now returned. Boo - I don't know what you Oregonians/Washingtonians complain about the weather for - the contrast between the weather while I was there and that in the UK is marked! :blah:

My main queries on the photo are regarding the cropping, and PP work. Would you have cropped differently? I messed around for quite a while and couldn't get it so I was totally happy with it - in the end I just tried to include the trunk (it looked weird with only half the tree trunk in it) and put the bird's head more or less on a third.

PP was a levels edit, saturation boost (14%) and USM (130, 1, 0)

May have overdone the levels/saturation a bit, I think.

Of course, C&T on other matters/issues with the shot welcomed, too.

Best,

-Ben

Attached Images

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:56 PM   #2

original:
Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:23 PM   #3

At 400mm and with the Konica Minolta you have, I don't think you could have done much better. Seems like you have a great camera there.

I can't really give any proper critique other than to add, I love woodpeckers!
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:41 AM   #4

Thanks Syd,

Much appreciated. I love green woodpeckers too!!

Funnily enough, this was the one shot that I was at least reasonably pleased with from my trip to the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, and it's not even of a wildfowl or wetland!

As usual, it was the quick shot from the hip, rather than the planned ones, and as usual, it came out better than the others. I didn't have a tripod and was using the hides to rest my lens on, along with some beanbags to try and damp vibrations. That really didn't seem to work well at all. In fact, handheld (as this one was) was better, though still not great in terms of sharpness.

The camera has been a great tool to learn with, and I would recommend it to anyone of any skill level. The manual controls (buttons on the outside) are just fantastic, meaning you don't have to sort through menus. I'm really mad that KM sold up to Sony - I have a lens collection now, and really hope/wish that Sony will keep the excellent ergonomics of the KM line.

Still, the upside is that if there are any left, you could pick up a 7D for a big discount now, and have yourself an excellent camera!

(sorry, a bit off topic there)

Thanks again, Syd - I always appreciate your comments, and the fact that if you have nothing photographic to add, you'll say so, then comment to give an anecdote or joke. Some might disagree, but I think that's an honest and pleasant way to go about forum life.

Best wishes,

-Ben
Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:25 PM   #5
LT7

Nice picture Ben, which 400mm lens were you using? Minolta? Sigma? Tokina? Tamron? Just curious.

Nice Camera you have there, but of course I'm biased, I have the same one. but I can never find any woodpeckers around here, Even when I hear them, I just can't find them.

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:31 PM   #6

Hi LT,

Thanks for the comment. The lens I have is a Sigma 170-500 original version (not the restyled digital specific coated one which is out of my price range!). I looked around on dyxum.com and it seemed to be a good balance of price and quality (wish I could afford G series lenses, but they're even more out of my range!)

I got lucky with this guy - he flew up and landed on the tree about 20 yards away. I just had enough time to get a few shots before he disappeared again - they're fast birds and not that big. Still, not as tough as blue-tits and the like - they still have me completely stumped.

Best wishes,

-Ben