Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:56 PM   #11
Administrator

I don't comment on a lot of images here. But, I'll make an exception for this one.

I keep looking at and thinking that perhaps a slight clockwise rotation to make the center portion more aligned might be a good idea, and perhaps a slightly wider angle of view to prevent truncating of the green portions. But, even that is subjective. I'd also consider some selective sharpening of the in focus points so that they stand out a touch more.

Also, because it was a "quick shot takenhandheld" at a shutter speed of 1/10 second using an aperture of f/4, it's more incredible. It should be used as an advertisement for Anti-shake. ;-)

Great Capture!

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:04 PM   #12

LT,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Yah, the tamron 90mm I have is the macro... I got a good deal on a used one over here in the UK. The 50/1.7 is nice and sharp, too. I had a 70-210, and it is a really nice lens, but sold it on as I got hold of a 75-300 from the same era. Slightly 'slower', but I find the longer reach comes in handy...

I think i'd trade most things for a 70-200 APO G SSM, but if it was my 90mm macro that I traded, I'd go out the next day and buy a replacement!

Best,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 1:07 AM   #13

Love the geometry here...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 2:14 AM   #14
LT7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I don't comment on a lot of images here. But, I'll make an exception for this one.

I keep looking at and thinking that perhaps a slight clockwise rotation to make the center portion more aligned might be a good idea, and perhaps a slightly wider angle of view to prevent truncating of the green portions. But, even that is subjective. I'd also consider some selective sharpening of the in focus points so that they stand out a touch more.

Also, because it was a "quick shot takenhandheld" at a shutter speed of 1/10 second using an aperture of f/4, it's more incredible. It should be used as an advertisement for Anti-shake. ;-)

Great Capture!

Thank you Jim, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I will have to play with it more. You are right about that 'Anti-Shake' sure does come in handy.

Thanks KennethKD also for your kind comments. I've been out of town for a while so wasn't able to get to the forum or back to reply on this for the past four days.

Kind Regards,

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 5:01 AM   #15

After seeing this, I've since tried to replicate it. Not easy!!

Great job LT.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:17 AM   #16

Ditto on that, which tells me that the original effort by LT was pretty good.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:21 AM   #17
LT7

THANKS Guys, I'll take that as a compliments! :G I saw something like that done by a professional once, and he was given a whole bunch of credit for his picture, so I was trying to replicate it, to see if I could do it too. His was slightly different and a lot better too. Haven't had a chance yet to try it again, but hope to soon.

Sorry I haven't been able to post much recently or provide feedback to your posts yet, as I've been out of town, and was shooting a wedding for a cousin. Glad I wasn't the "Pro" there, so no pressure whatsoever.

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote