Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:16 AM   #11

Thanks for the encouragement Steve!
I thought a lot about that right-side crop, but was concerned that the outcrop of rocks in the background that (unfortunately) seem to run directly from the umbrella would be an issue if I left a bit of them in the cropped image??
-Greg
Godzillza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:29 AM   #12

Ahh Greg, you have a point now that I've looked at the original again. If you have the appropriate software, you could 'clone-out' the rock thatappears when you increase the crop.I use Photoshop Elements 4 which I've still got a lot to learn on and also FastStone for quick editing. There is Freeware available that hasediting functions. I'm not really aufait with what is available but I'm sure somebody will providean appropriate link, for you.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:52 AM   #13

woow 2nd take is excellent

makes a huge differnece straightening the horizon. great shot mate

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:49 AM   #14

Just thinking Greg, pity there wasn't a long cool coctailstanding on the umbrella pole ledge - that would really have complimented the mood :G
Old Apr 30, 2006, 2:15 AM   #15

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in responding to your comments - been busy about the garden in the last of our reasonably mild autumn days. Weatherman says the chill is on its' way though....

Steve - I've been editing this using photoshop, and am sure I've seen a "clone brush" somewhere - shall continue on my steep learning curve with the software as well.

As for the "long cool cocktail" - it was in my non-shooting hand at the time, hence the skewed horizon in the first place!

Ken - thanks for the kind remarks. I could not have done it without the much appreciated support and the very helpful suggestions from a number of this forums' members.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:22 AM   #16

Left hand tool bar about three quarters of the way down, and adjust brush size to suite.

You must complete this project and post the final result!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:18 AM   #17

Greg,

I missed your request for feedback on the edit first time around. Just want to echo what's been said by Steve and Ken... it's a very good edit. I think the finishing touch will be that bit of cloning, and a slightly looser crop.

It's easy to feel out of your depth here at first, trust me, I know! But really I don't think you are out of your depth at all. The edit of this shot stands up very well to a lot of the
stuff on the forums.

Look forward to the second edit!

With best wishes,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:07 PM   #18

yes!

please post result.

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 5:40 PM   #19

Okay, here's the final edit on this pic - I'm going to try something else next me'thinks.

I've widened the crop slightly to correct that cut-off feel to the right corner of the umbrella, and used the clone tool (thanks for the directions Steve!) to remove the distracting line of rocks in the background. Also took the opportunity to dabble a little with the saturation tool to add a little more "blueness" to the sky - seemed a little too dull for a beach resort.

I'm suitably pleased with the results, and again extend a huge thanks to all who have provided support, advice and positive comments. Really appreciate it.

On to my next great challenge - understanding depth of field!
-Greg-
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2006, 3:07 AM   #20

Greg,

that's a really nice edit!

Best,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote