Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:40 AM   #11

E.S. Crawford wrote:
Quote:
very moody, syd, and a big improvement on the last portrait!

i myself am a self taught kinda guy and p.s. has grudginly given up her secrets to me

by frustration and lots of yelling at a reticent monitor.

six months and i still have no idea what i am doing (as is obvious by my first

comment bashing on my big dipper post )

maybe i'll take up basket weaving, instead...

scot

Scot, there is some strange forum behaviour going on currently which hasn't gone unoted. As I said in your "lame" post, just ignore the poster. Check out their posts to date, it shows the level of critique and mentality of this person.

You've got a lot of respect on this forum for producing excellent work.

Thanks for the feedback too. Much appreciated.

Syd

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:14 AM   #12

Syd,

It is indeed great to puta face to a name (and not just a fruit flavour). I agree with Kd it's always good to put a face to a name and we should have a separate forum / thread about this (if we're brave enough)... I'm glad when some other folk have done that here.

Interestingly enough I had sort of imaged you looked a BIT like this.... hmmm... Maybe I'd lived long enough in UK to almost get brit telepathy skills or something... Or maybe enough Barrett similarities? :blah:

About the photo itself, it's cool. Indeed moody but a smooth, balanced execution imho. I think the lack of light on the left is cool, adds a touch of mystery... (behind the evasive Syd...)

Keep posting all of you, I respect also a lot much of the work you do, as well as Scot, Dom,Kd and Nate, etc...

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:44 PM   #13

Perhaps a slight clarification here on my part. By left eye I don't mean the eye on the left but I mean Syd's left eye. The right eye in shadow works well for me. The left eye blown loses the texture and detail of the iris, which for me makes a portrait. Every iris is so unique, much better than fingerprints too.

Keep posting all of you, otherwise you'll never hear from me again...
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:50 PM   #14

Ok Ok ok... I'll post just to be sure we hear from you again.... :blah:

Thanks for clarifying, Nate... seriously yes now I understand what you mean. I guess the confusion comes from whether to understand "the left eye" to mean "eye on the left" or "YOUR [subject's / Syd's] left eye"....

I agree eyes hold a lot of power and uniqueness in a portrait. Still actually SYD's left eye doesn't subtract from the feeling and I guess the intended purpose of this portrait photo. But I do see your point!

Hope 2 C more from U soon.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:22 PM   #15

I hope to be able to post more soon. My PC crashed and took Photoshop with it. I haven't had time to fully restore everything yet. So far it can check email and play music.
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:31 PM   #16

JunixRose wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps a slight clarification here on my part. By left eye I don't mean the eye on the left but I mean Syd's left eye. The right eye in shadow works well for me. The left eye blown loses the texture and detail of the iris, which for me makes a portrait. Every iris is so unique, much better than fingerprints too.

Keep posting all of you, otherwise you'll never hear from me again...
Thanks for the clarification. I must agree with your sentimentsabout the iris. Having said that, I have been looking at a lot of black & white portraits of Syd Barrett, especially by former Hipgnosis photographer Mick Rock. A unique thing is that often Syd's eyes are cast so dark that it is often hard to discern any detail, which adds to the atmosphere and mood of the various shots. Then again there are those shots in which the eyes are sharp and clear, which works equally well. I guess I was attempting to emulate the former.

Thanks again for looking.

Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:09 PM   #17

Syd, What I know about portrait photography is positively dangerous, so I'm really not qualified to Crit. I do however think you have done well here with an appealling composition. Pity about the subject matter :blah:

Make a good avatar - assuming that really is you, of course. Can't be sure of thesethings anymore - but hey, you wouldn't be the only one to be masquerading aroundhere right now:G
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:04 PM   #18

Me masquerading?
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:13 AM   #19

So nice to see you've decided to make an avatar out of this portrait of yours as I suggested when I first saw it some time ago. You remember?:-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:15 AM   #20

I do Bahadir, and how could I forget that you hit the nail on the head with your much welcomedperception about the eyes. This is actually another shot, similar, but I wasn't quite happy with something about my first attempt.

I am hoping to try a bit more portraiture, but feel I have a long way to go in developing some techniques regarding lighting and shadows. Still, if I can capture the character and inner mood of a subject, then I will be very happy indeed.

Incidently, as I was typing this my daughter saw your avatar and enquired about your daughter's ladybug again. She talked of nothing else all the way to school.

Kind regards,

Syd