Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:11 PM   #21

JunixRose,

Thanks for your positive compliments on the photo as a possible wedding invite! Appreciated!

Yeah.... lol... you made me realise I'vebecome quite aclimatized to Romania's cultural dressing code. Indeed wearing an "almost mini skirt" to a wedding might not be consider exactly appropriate in various countries or cultures. But here in Romania there is not such a defined definition of socially acceptable / trendy / normal (or otherwise) as in some other places. In some ways that is good (people don't feel "pressured" to have to wear "exactly this". But in other ways such variability might not always be appreciated by everyone.

Of course clothing cuture doesn't apply only to weddings, but a multitude of occasions, situations and scenarios - also the informal. The dress Tundi is wearing in the photo is actually her only dress, which she got quite a few years ago. So it was / isused for University / school functions, formal / business meetings and other events (yes also like weddings - she's only been to 2, whereas I've been to more than 100!) I explained to Tundi when we went to Australia 18 months ago that the dress culture there is different in some ways to Romania.

She noticed differences from in clothing cultures in Australia and UK (where we were for a short stop-over stay) to Romania in a variety of places from the beach to the church to "going out"! :-) To "be safe" in a formal setting Tundi would normally wear long dark (formal) trousers.

But as I said, we're not the "dress up" types. So I've probably spent as much time writing about this as I have been in suits in the last 12 monthsand Tundi has been in that dress(lol!)

Again thanks for looking.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:41 PM   #22

Don't know how I came in so late on this one...but hakk..kaff! Yaszzz, Lets see now. Hmmmm, nope, not there, uh..uh..not there either. Squints harder....oh! yes, yes, hmmmm. Good! Ha ha, you two do make a lovely couple indeed. So nice to see happiness here shared by such a photogenic couple. Have you experimented with that crop at all? For some reason I was leaning toward a lower crop showing the bottom of your hand. Great response to this photo, we're all behind you two. Good luck,

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:10 PM   #23

Hey Kd,

Don't worry, you're forgiven for coming in SO late... (hey, it was only abt 12 hours old when you posted, so really you weren't that slow.... even with hakks, kaffs, etc..!) lol! :G

Thanks for your kind words, and for saying we make a lovel couple. Indeed there is a lot of happiness between us, over the 2.6 years we've been together... and I hope a lot more in the future!

You're right, maybe a crop including my hand would (also) look good, otherwise I've got a sort of "cut off arm" so yes I'll give that a go here.

Thanks for wishing us good luck for our future, much appreciated.... I hope one thing won't change though, and that's how much I enjoy photography and being part of Steve's forums....

Paul
Attached Images

Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:24 PM   #24

Very nice photo !

Your fiancee is indeed very beautiful, and I hope all goes well for your wedding.

Perhaps it's just me, but was the photo taken in overcast conditions ?

I think the photo would look great if you added a bit more light and saturation, to match up with the feelings of joy that is shown on both of your faces.

Another thing, have you tried more modeling shots with her ? Her physique is very suited for such roles.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:36 AM   #25

G'day Elddjoc,

Thanks for your kind comments and best wishes for our wedding... the days are quickly counting down! I'm glad you agree that my fiancee is beautiful indeed. :-)

Yes the photo was taken in overcast conditions (it had rained on and off that day). Maybe that's good because strong sunlight often creates harsh shadow lines on people's faces which aren't too attractive (especially in photos). But you have a point, maybe a bit more light / saturation would help give the photo a bit more "punch" and joy to our smiles!

Well while I haven't tried any professional or "lighting set up" modelling shots with Tundi, sometimes we've had a bit of fun with the camera and she naturally smiles and laughs often (which is helpful!) and at times she has posed specifically so that I could capture the moment in camera... Sometimes at the beach, or at her home, of in scenic locations.

Thanks for your confirmation that her physique might be suited for modelling roles. She has naturally quite tanned (olive) skin and is of slender build. She does enjoy eating some "model no-no's" like McDonalds (a treat here in Romania) and lots of my cooking too. I think she might feel a bit self-conscious about her height though, because she is quite short (151cm and 38kgs). But I remind her Kylie Minogue is about the same height...

Tundi specifically asked me not to send or copy any bikini shots to anyone without her knowing or asking (e.g. we often spend time with her cousins who live in the same city as she does, and so in such cases it's ok if they ask fora CD of photos of the weekend we'd spent together).

Maybe one day we'll take a bit more serious "model poses", but really I guess we'll just do that for fun and I don't know if I'll ever post them on the internet (hope you understand). While such modelling can be fun, at the same time there are parts of the fashion world and modeling industry which I'm wary of... I mean some girls or women naturally do not have "modelling features" and there can be a lot of pressure from fashion, advertising, modelling that makes some females feel inadequate. (when they shouldn't be lead to believe anything of the sort!) Of course there are the stereotypical problems of anorexia and teenage depression etc. And many other more hidden factors and pressures too.

If I may be bold and comment, I take that is your photo in your avatar and you look very sweet and a beautiful natural smile. I believe everyone should be thankful with their body and attempt to live a healthy contented life. But even I sometimes know and feel this pressure, sometimes wishing I had bigger "masculine" muscles, a tannedcomplexion, etc. People are born of varying sizes and proportions, with different complexions, physical features, etc. Much of what the media portrays as "attractive" just isn't obtainable for 90% of us.

As a Christian I believe true beauty lies not on external features, but on what can be inside a person, as the Bible says: "Beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." I think many people (also those of other beliefs and persuations) would agree with this statement.

At the same time I do believe we are allowed to appreciate physical beauty inthe (created / natural) worldas well as in people. That's why I particularly like landscape photography and also wildlife / plant closeups. AND at the same time Ido comment on modelling shots posted in this forum giving my opinion that it's good, etc (e.g. a number of Frank Doornhofs posts). So I appreciate the model, the technique, the outcome. But I try to alwaysrecognise theimportant things in life first (beauty which doesn't fade withage). I actually did a marketing degree in Australia and worked in advertisingtoo. So I'm not totally talking from a point of ignorance about this area.

Maybe I've opened a can of worms here. And most likely I've written too much / long (as per usual!) :? Sorry folks!

But even photographic forums on the web can be a good place for such discussion!

Anyway, to end up, thanks for looking, Elddjoc. And your comments are MUCH appreciated.

Paul

Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:53 AM   #26

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
As a Christian I believe true beauty lies not on external features, but on what can be inside a person, as the Bible says: "Beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." I think many people (also those of other beliefs and persuations) would agree with this statement.
I think we can all agree with that Paul. Superficial beauty is only skin deep, the real beauty lies within.

Having said that, I hope you don't mid but I tried a little fun edit . . . (I will remove it if you prefer).

Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:09 AM   #27

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah.... lol... you made me realise I'vebecome quite aclimatized to Romania's cultural dressing code. Indeed wearing an "almost mini skirt" to a wedding might not be consider exactly appropriate in various countries or cultures.
It'sthankfully acceptable herefor ALL occasions - weddings, funerals, you name it. But then again we do have the most attractive women in the world who are quite keen to show off their tanned legs -beena welcomedistraction in many a boring ceremony, I can tell you:G

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:11 AM   #28

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
It'sthankfully acceptable herefor ALL occasions - weddings, funerals, you name it. But then again we do have the most attractive women in the world who are quite keen to show off their tanned legs -beena welcomedistraction in many a boring ceremony, I can tell you:G

Where's the pics???????

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:14 AM   #29

I'll Xerox a sample to you
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:38 AM   #30

Hee, hee... I thought I'd get a bit of a reaction from the regulars... not afraid to masquerade, not afraid to create a laugh!! :G

Syd, don't mind the edit at all. I think I'll title your well executed edit : "The better half of my better half"? What say ye?

Steve, yeah I echo Syd's request... ifyour South African beauties are the best of the bunch... put your money where your mouth is and post us a few. Then again I would challenge you the Aussie lasses and Romanian girls would give you a fair run for your rand...

Steve, you'd lighten up my lunch time if you would post back. (Syd thanks for bringing a smile to my "elevenses.." ala hobbit time).

Xeroxing is stricting NOT allowed here (anyway we're here to preserve this planet aren't we?) Better by internet than the bleached insides of a tree (paper)!. Anyway much of the world knows that process as "photocopying"...

Paul

Edit.. PS - thanks Syd for the serious comment too that true beauty lies within... glad to know we can tune in on the same wavelengths in various matters: photography, humour andthe deeper elements of our existence. PJ