Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:58 AM   #31

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Ken,

Appreciate the comments, mate. Glad you could look and give some feedback. Yeah I think that's why I like the photo, it seems like a natural & happy photo and we were enjoying each other's company (I'm out of the country soon for a month, so it was our last weekend together for 5 long weeks!)

And I forgot to say, KenI was also partly inspired to post this photo through the recent photo you shared of your girlfriend... (and all the comments you got from that.. :-))

Again, thanks for looking and sharing both comments and your own photos.

Paul
PS... I don't think I've seen a photo of YOU yet though.... hint hint... or do you just do the "better half" ones? :blah:

5 wks away thts got to be tough. I cant stand 1 week from my girl

I really like ur final crop. Draws the shot right into the happines and emotion in the shot. You 2 look so happy together. Congrats

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:23 AM   #32

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
I'll Xerox a sample to you
Of course silly me.... where has my one remaining brain cell been? I'll have to blame Syd and his banana skins. It WAS you (wasn't it... you with the camera lens protruding form under your raincoat) who sent those recent Sth African xerox advertisements (fine examples I must admit).

But still we're talking about only one half. What about the front side? Gotta have faces to match too (after all eyes are the windows to the soul or not?)! You need to go to the opposite side of the field next time... And we'll be praying for rain so you don't stand out TOO much in your attire...

Argh.... back to work.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:32 AM   #33

Ken,

Yeah 5 weeks is indeed tough. The longest time we've been away since we started going out (Feb 2004) was 7 weeks. It's especially hard for her, maybe because my life experience has made me somewhat more independent and emotionally less vulnerable, and I've lived half a world away from my family and friends I grew up with (in Australia) for almost 10 years now. So I try to be especially sensitive to her needs in this area.

I travel in Romania a lot for the charity project I work with and as she lives 5 hours away from where I live I can't afford the petrol to visit every weekend (folks in the US should know petrol / fuel prices in Europe, including Romania are quite a bit higher than in the US and have been so for decades!) And as I'm on a missionary budget ... well you can imagine. But I shouldn't complain. UsuallyI visit Tundi every 2nd or 3rd weekend when I'm here in Romania, so I try to be thankful and be content.

Actually I remind myself of all those people who got started a relationship or got engaged or married and then are called off to war. I've read many fascinating stories (and listened to a few in person) of people across the world who tell of their lives (especially of the 1st and 2nd world wars) when they were forced to trust in the other person far away, and keep in touch by often unreliable or a very slow postal service of the time, etc. Today we have email, sms and so on which helps us to keep in touch with loved ones so much easier.

Hmmmm... some food for thought. And thanks for your empathy, Ken.

About your comments on the actual photo, thanks for your appreciation - ok it looks like a vote for the final edit from you. Cool!! (I need to start the rest of the wedding invitations then, shouldn't I!?)

Paul
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:06 PM   #34

My vote is for the last edit as well. No odd amputations in the photo and no distractions either. Perhaps Syd's edit could go on the back of the invite...
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:35 PM   #35

Junixrose / Nate,

haa haa... good idea about putting Syds edit on the back page.

Or another idea: [front outside cover]"Wanna see who belongs to these legs"... followed by Syd's edit

[inside card / invitation] Then come to our wedding (the above the waist edit / photo of us!...)

[Back cover] - RSVP details, and with love from Paul & Tundi :blah: (full photo, legs n all!)

And yeah, thanks for your thumps up for the above the waist edit...

Paul
Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:22 PM   #36

Paul, just wondered who's going to be taking your wedding pics. Would love to see them on here.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:28 PM   #37

Y? Want a holiday to Romania, Syd? Or an experience of Romanian weddings?

Seriously... a mutual friend of ours (not a pro, but a good photographer, I've learnt a trick or two from him) will be our "official photographer". He has had a Nikon D50 and traded it in, maybe going for a Nikon D70s. So even though he's in the "other camp" I generously allowed him to take photos of a Canon-guy's wedding... :-)

I might lend my Canon XT / 350D to the cousin who took the photo in this topic, so he might be our "2nd photographer". you know, just in case.

(Tundi said she wouldn't allow me to take a single photo on our wedding day.... hmmm that seems a bit harsh doens't it?!! :?). Anyway even if she allowed me I guess having my DSLR hanging around my neck doesn't exactly match our wedding clothes (and might be distracting from our smiles...). Thankfully she's of course letting me take the camera on our honeymoon (we're going to southern Greece)...

So yeah, I hope to post some photos up on this forum after that..

Paul
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:33 PM   #38

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
(Tundi said she wouldn't allow me to take a single photo on our wedding day.... hmmm that seems a bit harsh doens't it?!! :?).
If you can resist taking a shot for the day that would be most honurable. It would make her day even more special knowing what you have given up. A whole day though . . . Geez! :shock:

Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:28 PM   #39

Yeah poor girl, after all the excruciating times she's patiently put up with my crazy addiction... I should giver her at least the Big Day off from my snapping away (would I call myself "trigger happy"?)

Thanks for the challenge to be honourable, Syd. Just hope that at the end of the day withdrawal symptoms won't be toostrong and that I won't get...

that feeling once again.
I can't explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

Paul

PS Seriously, I'd give up many days of photographing if she asked me: she'd only say if I really got out of hand. I know she balances me out and keeps me being somewhat more normal too!!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:10 PM   #40

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Thankfully she's of course letting me take the camera on our honeymoon . . .
Nah! . . . you couldn't . . . you wouldn't . . . would you?