Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:11 AM   #1

Well hello all!

After the brave posts by a few folk recently on this forumin self-portraits (thanks Kd and Syd and others...) as well as those who reveal themselves more or less in other posts or via their avatars (e.g. Scot, Peri), I decided to do the proper thing (thanks to lessons from Amanda) and post a true original photo of myself and my fiancee. I have posted one or two photos of myself and a few of my fiancee over the past year... but I think this is the first "together" shot I'm posting.

Actually it is NOT a "self-portrait"... as this photo of us was taken by a friend (my fiancee's cousin) after the church ceremony part at a wedding (ANOTHER cousin's!) we attended. I didn't have a tripod handy, nor the time anyway.

Unfortunately my fiancee's cousin who took the photo kept the settings that I had been using for some shots inside the church (ISO 1600 and f9, etc) so this photo came out not so good (fait bit of noise and so on). Also I was wearing some new glasses (with the lenses that get darker in sunlight, I've never had these before) and so the lenses were quite dark at the time of the photo.

However I liked this photo quite a bit, and ran it through Photoshop and Noiseware and I would like to know your opinions / comments if it seems an ok photo (adjusting levels, removing noise, etc). I think the photo captures us quite well, even though we both HATE formal clothes (much prefer comfortable / casual clothes or being down at the beach!)

So depending on your comments we might even use this photo for our wedding invitations (which I'm designing).... what do you think...? And edits also welcome!

Paul

PS I STILL don't know how an ugly mug like me ended up with her, but I'm thankful! Most importantly she's such a sweet young woman with a big, genuine loving heart!
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:28 AM   #2

hey mate

this is a great shot. Setting look fine to me. Exposure is excellent and you 2 look so happy. congrats. Shot is very natural and both of your happy expressions are obvious and easily communicated through this shot.

nice shot

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:05 AM   #3

Thanks Ken,

Appreciate the comments, mate. Glad you could look and give some feedback. Yeah I think that's why I like the photo, it seems like a natural & happy photo and we were enjoying each other's company (I'm out of the country soon for a month, so it was our last weekend together for 5 long weeks!)

And I forgot to say, KenI was also partly inspired to post this photo through the recent photo you shared of your girlfriend... (and all the comments you got from that.. :-))

Again, thanks for looking and sharing both comments and your own photos.

Paul

PS... I don't think I've seen a photo of YOU yet though.... hint hint... or do you just do the "better half" ones? :blah:

Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:30 AM   #4

Hello Paul,

This is a nice shot of you two. You both look relaxed and natural. The composition is good and the background looks good. And oh yes, your fiancee is very very pretty.

Just my opinion: If you wanted to use the picture for your wedding invitation - consider cropping from roughly your fiancee's waist up + tighter on the L + R. I think that would give the picture a "closer" feel.

I have very similar glasses - they darken in the sun. They are wonderful however, I absolutely dread them when trying to preview picture on the lcd screen of my cameras when shooting outdoors - they are then a real set back...

Joey
joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:12 AM   #5

So nice to see the duo sharing a joyful happiness. Somehow,she looked different to me in this shot when compared to other shots I saw her. That's probably the role of the dress. We do not only wear them physically but their mood, too!
Despite your complaints about the settings, the camera fulfilled the job, it seems. Oh, btw, don't call yourself mug or sth, for you'll definitely make a remarkable groom :-)
And for the invitation, I certainly agree with joybob's suggestion for cropping from the the waist level of your fiance for attaining a much closer look with less distracting elements.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:32 AM   #6

Hello Joeybob!

Thanks for looking.... And I'm so glad you also appreciate this photo. Yes, the more I think about it, I'm glad for many elements in the photo (despite it starting off quite noisy and glasses being dark / distracting). As you said, the background looks good too.

I was actually thinking that yes, the best thing would be for a crop waist up (and a possible tighter left& right crop) for a wedding invitation photo. So I'm glad your suggestions confirm my amateur opinion/s.

What you wrote about such glasses that darken in the sun was very interesting (I don't know the English word anymore... I think in Romanian they call them "helikon" or something like that?!) Like I said I've only had them a short time (5 days today) and use when I drive or go outdoors (in some bright spring sun).

Before I had lenses in them which were permanently dark (prescription sunglasses) and found these good, but one of my eyes weakened a bit and I needed new (slightly stronger) lensesl The lady in the optometrist shop misunderstood me and she put these "darken in the sun lenses". I was a bit disappointed at first, but then I thought: "well why not give ita try, and see". They are more expensive (and I already paid).

My previous "permanent sunglasses" were also almost impossible to use for anything electronic outside (or indoors) - e.g. my pocket PC (PDA), mobile phone or camera's LCD. Of course using my p&s or DSLR viewfinder with them was ok. But I just couldn't view anything on any electronic screen (seemed to cancel out the colours or something!)

However these "darken in the sun glasses" seem slightly better (at least so far) maybe because they are not quite so dark (usually) as my "permanent sunglasses" or because these contain anti-reflective coating ....

It will be handy if outdoors not to need 2 pairs of glasses if I can just use the "darken in the sun" ones. Most of the time I don't need to use LCD screens outdoors (I use optical viewfinder more often!) Anyway, we'll see in the long-run what I do.

Again, thanks for looking and your helpful comment. Hope my "rambing on" hasn't bored you...

Paul
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:36 AM   #7

Greetings Bahadir,

Your replies are almost like clock-work, Bahadir... that is a GOOD timepiece!! Thanks for your insightful comments.

Indeed I also feel that in a dress Tundi looks quite different to when she is in more casual attire. So her "looking different" is not just your perception, but mine. As you wrote and explained, we wear clothes physically and the mood of them too!

I guess you are right, the camera still did a good job in fulfilling the job of capturing one (of the many) smiling moments we had together on that day (even if it was not OUR wedding!) Thanks for your compliments I might not make such a bad groom... I ask for grace to help me in this.

Good you also agree with Joeybob's suggestion (and my intuition) to crop from waist up for a closer look.

Maybe I should try that when I get home. Again appreciate your words.

Paul
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:44 AM   #8

Nice to see you took the plunge Paul. Great shot, relaxed, fun, and close.

You look a lot like a British DJ called Chris Evans who is known for his sense of fun and also attracting pretty girls.

You both look pretty good together. I agree with the others that the shot came off quite well. She has beautiful smile.

Best of British to you both.

Syd

P.S. She's quite a dudette

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:54 AM   #9

Syd, Yep, now that's an appropriate expression "taking the plunge"!

ha ha... I had to laugh when you drew a similarity between my looks and Chris Evans. yeah I know the guy (well not personally) seeing his photo and articles about him in the media often enough (especially when Ilived in London-town). Actually one of my close friends in London once told me I should do a Chris Evans impersonation one time.. I guess I do look like him a bit, and I do enjoy humourous times.

However being a Christian missionary I think that there are other elements of his personality that don't exactly transfer onto me.... :blah: However maybe we'll leave it at this and not go into details right?

About attracting pretty girls... well actually Tundi is my first (and only!) girlfriend and love. And interestingly (bit of inside info) she was the one who actually asked me for the possibility of a relationship (gulp!) don't know if Chris has had the same experience.

Again I have to laugh to think that for 20 years of my life it was my twin brother (the beefier, brawnier of the two) who got the lasses' attention. He's now married (they have 1 child) and I'm slowly catching up... :G

Thanks for saying we look good together, I especially take that as a kind compliment. Indeed she's got a beautiful smile, I couldn't agree more.

What is a "dudette"? MaybeI wasn't long enough in London to learn or fully understand this term. I'll be ignorant and say I thought this was a term from USA.. (gulp... don't hate me now!) Please explain, I'd like to know just to be informed and understand... (and maybe have another laugh).

Many a blessing to you Syd, God save the queen and all that. Cheers.

Paul
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:00 AM   #10

Following up from Syd's remarks.. here belowis a photo of Chris Evans and Zoe Ball for any of you who might be interested..

I doubt I'll ever be getting glasses in the same style as Chris... that would be TOO scary!!

I don't know Chris's or Zoe's details exactly, but for the record I'm 31 and Tundi is 20.. we plan to marry on 23 September 2006.Many people often Tundi guess Tundi to be 15 years old and me 25. (Other people have said and I also think in this "formal photo" we look older than we normally do!)

Paul (PS that is NOT me below!)