Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:31 AM   #1

Ok here is part of my second assignment for my Digital Imaging course at Uni.

Tell me what you think. It could sort of a self portrait, but I call it Ego. Two versions Colour and part black&white and part colour. Any questions about the image just ask.

Enjoy and tell me what you think.

Ollie

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:47 AM   #2

Hi Ollie77,

It's an interesting photo-- and got a "bunch of mates relaxing, enjoying themselves" feel to it. The 2nd version (desaturation / colour selection edit) also works for me. Sometimes such type of photos don't seem to work (maybe just a personal thing), but I quite like your edit, particularly the different colours and what you decided to keep coloured.

So my (main) question to you is:

which one of these is you (if any?) Did I understand correctly it was set up on a tripod and thus you are one of these people?

Paul (PS don't be shy!!)

And PPS... where and when was it taken?
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:04 AM   #3

I like the color version. This is a diferrent type of shot - Several subjects in it - none looking @ the camera giving the picture a candid feel.

The one thing that takes away from the picture is that bunch of wiring up near the chimney on the upper left.

Joey
joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:15 AM   #4

I would prefer teh vertical elements to be vertical. Agree that the electrical service should be cropped out. The full color version works better for me, but I have never been a fan of selective color anyway, except in a very few instances.

Paul, I think you missed the point of the title - all the people in the pic are the same person. It is a very good demonstration of photo editing skills.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:28 AM   #5

I think did a your assignment well, having many of yourself at once :-) On my account, I wish it would come true on some occasions especially when I find it difficult to get up!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:34 AM   #6

I think it's a great shot, both versions work very well. Would love to know how you managed to pull it off so well. For me it has an album/cd cover feel to it, reminds me of a few I've seen where the artist/s are just hangin' loose in a nice setting.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:44 AM   #7

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Paul, I think you missed the point of the title - all the people in the pic are the same person. It is a very good demonstration of photo editing skills.

brian
Thanks Brian, I bow in humble stupidity....

Actually in the beginning I THOUGHT this was the possibility... but then I looked closer (but maybe not close enough) at the two "subjects" on the right and I thought that it doesn't look like the same guy. But then again... of course a hairstyle change (brush) and so on can do that. so I though this was maybe 2 (or 3) people in 2 or 3 exposures. OR I thought a bunch of mates who look alike (or brothers / cousinsor something!)

And now when I looked more carefullyI could see the hair and rings on the fingers in a number of the subjects are too close to be co-incidental).

OK, so I'm even more impressed with the "good photo editing" undertaken.

Cool!! (again thanks Brian!)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:57 AM   #8

G'day guys,

ok thanks firstly for all the replies.

There were around 7 shots used in the final picture. Although you can't tell from the final image the shadows were the biggest problem due to me having to change clothing and "hairstyles" several times. Another hard part was the cup being handed to myself which was done firstly with me handing it to my girlfriend and taking the snap shot then several other shots of me in her postion holding the cup. A bit of scew work had to be done to get it to line up. Luckily though there was "me" in the denim jacket to cover up most of "me" in the background.

It was taken Sunday afternoon too. So the sun was on the way down.

I agree somewhat that the power lines put a slight modern theme to the house and distract a little but not enough to take away from the focus as a whole.

So yes all the people in the shot are me. I used my tripod in one position and used the remote to take the shots. I purposely didn't look at the camera at any time because the subjects had to look like they were interacting with each other in some way. And I also tried to put expression in the subjects that looked natural.

Ollie

PS: yes it would be handy to have lots of me around to do all my things....but I have a girlfriend for that :P
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:52 PM   #9

I really like this shot. Alot. This is one that you should have large on your wall. There are two things I would do though. Clone out the wires, like they said, and perhaps add color to the cord of firewood. Oh yeah, I really like the partial color. It is close enough to full color to be realistic yet different enough to be very captivating. I feel that where the wood is could use to be color too to add a little more balance. Right now that part sort of falls out.

Nate
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:59 PM   #10

Hi Ollie,

I really love this pic, especially the full colour version. Agree with InsearchofSyd's comment about the album cover feel to it. It would work well with any solo male r&b singer. The composition of the image has such a natural look to it that I have to remind myself that you don't have 4 identical brothers.

You have inspired me to try something similar just for the heck of it.

Cheers,
the other Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote