Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:40 AM   #11

Dom,

I love the photo and smart sharpen did a great job in bringing out the details! I found it took a while playing around with USM (unsharp mask) to understand it (as is usual with many photoshop tools) but it is good in the end, and does have a lot of control. A lot to do with image size and type of composition as well as lens.

But smart sharpen is easier and maybe good for the "I'm in a hurry times".

Your son is a delight to the eyes, and flash exposure and composition are well, from his adorable eyes to his grubby little chin and fingers. I guess I might face up to this reality one day should I "inherit" children (I'm at the engaged stage so far!)

Thanks for sharing....

So the question is (apart from "is that banana yoghurt?"... or custard?) .. have you updated your avatar with the SMART SHARPENED version?

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 2:50 AM   #12

In the first place, I must say, when you adjust the amount of sharpening according to the condition of the photo and better select the necessary parts to sharpen in the USM, it undoubtedly does a very good job.
On the other hand, I am really impressed by your example which you attained by Smart Sharpen. After sharpening the first photo in the USM about %210 you'll find as attached, I started to wonder if Smart Sharpen does more than sharpening like auto adjusting saturation and contrast, too.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:20 AM   #13

Hi All,

Bahadir thanks for the experiment. I am now totally sold on smart sharpen. It has a basic and an advanced mode. The sample I showed above was using the most basic functions. But when you switch to advanced you can specify parameters on shadow and highlight independantly which I haven't even looked at yet! I am hoping to find something online that can show me how to use those bits to a greater effect! The link as posted from Kanon shows this really well (although I havent read all the detail yet).

Paul; thanks for the kind words. I looked at your post of you and your better half (with a fabulous half!) and just want to say you are a lucky man - i hope you have many happy years and would highly recommend children - either the traditional method or just for a loan period! I have done many things including flying a plane and a helicopter and i have to say that when william was born has been my most exhillerating experience to date! And I cant remember if I used the sharpened shot for my avatar I think i did.

And yes it was banana yoghurt. My son loves banana!

Thanks guys,
Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:44 AM   #14

DomCotton wrote:
Quote:
Paul; thanks for the kind words. I looked at your post of you and your better half (with a fabulous half!) and just want to say you are a lucky man - i hope you have many happy years and would highly recommend children - either the traditional method or just for a loan period! I have done many things including flying a plane and a helicopter and i have to say that when william was born has been my most exhillerating experience to date! And I cant remember if I used the sharpened shot for my avatar I think i did.

And yes it was banana yoghurt. My son loves banana!

Thanks guys,
Dom
Dom,

Cheers for writing, and posting here your hearty words and congratulations regarding the post of myself and my fiancee. Indeed I feel a lucky man. Lookin' forward to manyhappy years ahead, indeed... and I think children the traditional method sounds a very good idea! :blahjust let us have a few years of quiet before that maybe though....please). Or maybe we'll have twins (i'm a twin). Both my twin brother and our younger brother (2 years our juniour) beat me to the "fatherhood" stakes... they both have a family (traditional method, "non-loan" mode, except to "the grandparents" fora day/ night!).

I've held the controls of a plane too, but not been in a helicopter, so if you say seeing your child born is the most exhilerating thing yet, I'm impressed. Thanks for sharing your joy with us in this way!

I think Bahadir's keen eyes and quick mind picked up some interesting points about sharp smarten.. it does seem to add contrast and maybe some saturation, esp if I look at the "orange stuff" on his left cheek especially I notice it doesn't seem "just smarten". Are you sure that you didn't accidentaly add some contrast / saturation before "smart sharpen"?

Well it looks like you're a good ambassador for Sharp Smarten (TM) and we'll all get hooked onto it like you... will you get commi$$ion? :G As you said, maybe looking into it more (advanced features : highlight, shadow) will reveal even more usefulness.

Cheers,

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote