Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:50 PM   #1

johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:15 PM   #2

I like the colors but two things catch my eye. One is the white spot above the flower and the other is the bramble or whatnot on the petals. Perhaps a quick shake or breath to clean it up before shooting? The whiteness could probably be shadow/highlighted away quick enough.
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:27 PM   #3

mj,

To be honest the dof doesn't seem to work here (imho). Maybe either a narrower dof to really highlight part of the flower, OR a wider dof to keep all in focus. Just not enough either way. (e.g. the far petals are out of focus, but not enough to be convincing...)

Nice colours, though... I agree with the white spot above the flower being somewhat distracting. Perhaps a clone could also rememdy...

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:18 PM   #4

Mike, I always find something to like about your work for varying reasons. On this occasion it has to be the colours, they really are quite something. I find red and green contrast really effectively together.

What was your thinking behind this? It does seem superficially a bit oof and tatty, but I'm thinking that maybe was your intention and there is some reasoning behind it.

BTW I went comment on the tyre pic you'd taken with the new lens and it was gone! I'm beginning to wonder if we have an image thief in here now. :lol:The sharpness was spot on where it mattered imo.

I'll check out your site again later.

regards,

Syd

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:16 PM   #5

thanks rose, paul, and syd. i appreciate the comments.
to tell you the truth i hadn't even noticed that white spot above the flower, thanks for pointin it out to me.
my reason for liking this shot was the colors, syd. as well as the blur of the background green, i thought it was really striking in contrast with the red.
this was taken at f8 so i'm not sure why it looks so blurry, maybe the saturation or something. either way, what i got from it was the contrasting colors.

thanks for the response!

syd- i took down the tire photo because of lack of response. i figured it just wasn't what got peoples attention around here, what with all the fake nude self portraits out there now, it's hard to scare up a response. :blah:

mj
Old Apr 27, 2006, 8:38 AM   #6

I really don't see a focus point much like my 2nd wrench image. I do see one tiny yellow thing in focus. Colors are a bit blown out to me.

I certainly would not frame this or use this for a greeting card.
kevin burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 8:48 AM   #7

thanks for your advice kevin.

mj