Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:31 PM   #1

hand held, D7, macro, f4.8, 1/181, flash, RAW, Manual focus used to focus on the groves of wrench.

Attached Images

kevin burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:10 PM   #2

interesting shot! might want to think about framing it differently, putting it in the center is a bit ordinary and doesn't really strike me very much. you might also want to get rid of the black shadow in the bottom left of the photo.
macros are so much fun though, keep shootin!

mj
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:18 PM   #3

Thats all good, I was just looking over your home page and every image was in the center. No use of thirds on any of your images.

Rather ordinary A'

Thanks anyways.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:23 PM   #4

ouch kevin. watch the 'tude around here. people will pounce on it, i know from experience.

just trying to help out man. sorry if i offended you.

you must not have taken a long look at my stuff though... please don't be too quick to judge. i'm quite proud of most of my stuff, although there are the occasional fun shots and screwing around stuff.

this is the critiques and techniques forum, so if you can't take what people say here i would suggest not posting your stuff here anymore, it will only start arguments, which are not healthy for the forum.

mj
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:34 PM   #5

you did not offend me at all.

my point is, "why would you say center is ordinary when your images are in the center?

When I see that type stuff said, then see the poster does the same thing in there work. It makes me wonder why you would say that about my image.

I will give you the shadow, it's actually a vise but looks like a shadow. But to mention the center when your images on your home page are all centered, just don't make sense to me. Double standard

(your images can be centered but other peoples can't) Give me a break.

I don't have a attitude at all, just keeping it real.

"If"when I went your front page and saw the rule of thirds used, I would listen to what you said. When critiquing ones work take into consideration your own work.

No probs here have a good night, most people know my name and how I am, straight forward.

I could not get the focus dead on, off center at the time of shooting but here is a image off center and the image don't not have the power of the above image. IMO

Image for display only I know it is out of focus. For frame showing.

Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:53 PM   #6

with that type of defensiveness you will not fend well on this forum.

say what you will about my work, but i will not take it very seriously, considering i have almost 1500 images online and you saw 6 on my front page, that's passing judgement in my opinion.

my comments still stand.

mj
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:04 AM   #7

I also have the same amount of images and at most you seen are two of my images. You wont win in a childish argument.

I also said nothing about your work except every thing I seen was centered. so that makes your comment worthless to me.

Passing judgment is seeing two of my images. That's passing judgment.

I am not a new photographer.

I could care less who you think you are. Think is the key word, since you want to go this route.

Your ignorant don't bother me.
If you knew anything at all, you would have mentioned thewash out from flash on the metal or the harsh lighting. Ignorant.

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:36 AM   #8

Boys, boys...boys! Lets agree to disagree. Overall appeal might be a common ground here. There is a nice balance to the overall look of this shot. The lack of color gives the metal a nice cool finish and the light reflection works, despite any critical objection. Any shadow (imo) is minor and not a serious distraction. As a backyard mechanic I have always liked the look of tools and wrenches. And I like the isolated feeling centering gives it.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:21 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Mike's images have nothing at all to do with his critique of your images.

He could in fact never have taken a picture in his life and it would make no difference to the validity or invalidity, usefulness or otherwise of his suggestions.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...tu-quoque.html

http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...al-attack.html

I agree with Mike about the black shadow or vice. The eye is attracted to areas of high contrast. Your image background is predominantly very light, therefore any black parts of that background will attract the eye. Unless you intended the viewer to look at the vice it is a distracting element and should not be there.

As it happens I think Mike is wrong about the composition. There is a great deal about the image which does conform with the rule of thirds. The two end points of the wrench are in fact quite close to the upper-right and lower-left third-intersections and the in-focus area links these two points. So for me the composition is quite effective in that regard. I don't find the fact that there are some blown areas on the wrench to be particularly distracting, the blown areas are good for directing the eye to the intersections and provide high contrast at those points. I don't think any loss of texture in those locations matters very much.

As to the overall effect of the image - I'm afraid it doesn't do anything for me. By which I mean I would not be at all tempted to frame a print and hang it on a wall; though I have seen far worse hanging on the walls of coffee-shops, etc.

I don't think the picture has sufficient texture or pattern to move it away from being a "macro shot of a wrench" into something more abstract.

My opinion on macro shots is that, in general, as long as they are technically well executed (and yours is fine), that it comes down to whether the viewer can make a connection with the subject matter or not. I'm afraid I can't generate any emotional or intellectual response to a picture of a wrench; that's not the fault of the photograph but I don't believe it would be a very uncommon reaction.

Similarly I find it difficult to connect with flower macros, although they often have more interesting lines and texture. I find insect macros interesting because I find insects interesting. No need to belabour the point.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 5:15 AM   #10

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Mike's images have nothing at all to do with his critique of your images.

He could in fact never have taken a picture in his life and it would make no difference to the validity or invalidity, usefulness or otherwise of his suggestions.

Well said Craig,its'about theappeal the photo hasto the eye of the individual beholder - whether that be an 'educated' or 'experienced'eye, or not.

Mike was merely expressing what he liked about the shot and what he did not,which does not negate the validityof his comment.Even though I am not an artist I think Iwould, with time and effort, be able togain enough knowledge onthe subject to be able to comment on whether a painting is good or bad, irrespective of whether I am able to producea high standard of artwork myself, or not.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote