Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:53 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Hmm, can you please give us a bigger image to play with? 800 or 1024 wide.

Anyway, it's a great capture, so good that it deserves a bit of post-processing to get the best out of it.

Here's a quick edit to give an idea of the kind of effect you can get with a bit of photoshop.

1. Adjusted levels, perhaps slightly too much because I've lost a tiny bit of detail on the wings, but I liked the overall effect.

2. Boosted saturation to get some nice greens coming out of the grass.

3. Boosted contrast.

4. Steps 1-3 had pulled out a lot of background detail and I didn't think the OOF trees added much to the shot, so I made a selection of the background with the magic wand and defocused using the lens blur filter.

With a bigger image we could try to do some shapening and more accurate work. And maybe a bit of cropping to look for a slightly more interesting composition.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:56 PM   #22
Super Moderator

A crop experiment...

I'm not sure the space on the left is doing the shot any favours, and also a slight rotation to level off the grass.

I'm not sure it works, but something to think about.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:19 AM   #23

thanks peripatetic

I use photoshop a fair bit i like what youve done with the background but before it was a kinda combined pic. Too me it kinda told a story well at least when i lookedat the pic.

Ihad more to look at then just the geese, but thats the weard thing the shot i was taking was primarily to get a pic of the geese in flight. I did not really think about the background at the time,

but when i veiwed the pic in photoshop i really liked the way the background came out but that said i do like like what you'vedone.

Thats what i like about photography unless you totally plan the shot your gonna take then its kinda of like a lucky dip you just don't know whats gonna happen when your taking the shot.

I have had many pics whilst taking the shot something would come into the frame especailly wildlife shots ( okay bird shots ) and after going back over the pics thinking i don't remember that being there.

Thanks for the excellent input

bodge

wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote