Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 28, 2006, 2:08 AM   #1

This is a shot that I got while fishing on one of many Wisconsin's beautiful lake. I saw this abandoned dock... thought it was interesting.

Let me know what you think.

Attached Images

wrestlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:49 AM   #2

I don't want to sound harsh but the composition (to me) is a bit plain. I think you had a good idea and just did not expand on it enough. Maybe it is a little too centred for my tastes. Everyone here suggests the rule of thirds and it is very handy. Bear in mind there are times to bend the rules.

If you have a wide shot of this, maybe keep the width and crop in closer to the dock (keeping the dock to the left of frame). Then try experimenting. The first thing I thought of was convert it to B&W and restore the color to the dock (could possibly need boosting of the colors of the dock to make it really stand out)

Keeping clicking away and posting it is the best way for us all to learn.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:41 AM   #3

shadowlies wrote:
Quote:
I don't want to sound harsh but the composition (to me) is a bit plain. I think you had a good idea and just did not expand on it enough. Maybe it is a little too centred for my tastes. Everyone here suggests the rule of thirds and it is very handy. Bear in mind there are times to bend the rules.

If you have a wide shot of this, maybe keep the width and crop in closer to the dock (keeping the dock to the left of frame). Then try experimenting. The first thing I thought of was convert it to B&W and restore the color to the dock (could possibly need boosting of the colors of the dock to make it really stand out)

Keeping clicking away and posting it is the best way for us all to learn.

i agree with everything above plus i think there is a very cold or greenish colour cast over the entire image. I dont think this helps the image

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:58 AM   #4

Also agree with the previous comments - don't think it's my monitor, but looks to me like you've 'upped' the hue? There's a distinct very light purple hue to the shot as I'm seeing it, which makesthe shotlook a bit bland.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:10 PM   #5

In my vision, when I first saw it, I was like... this is really unique, and awesome... but was in a boat and was pretty tough to frame it closer... any ideas for the future when I snap a pic like this?

wrestlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:16 AM   #6

Perhaps try getting a little closer to the subject next time. Great attempt though. Keep posting dude.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote