Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:12 AM   #1

In my ongoing quest to understand the rule of thirds and it's application to composition in my pictures, some suggestions on how best to crop, rotate, etc. this image in order to apply the rule succesfully would really be appreciated. (All I've done to the image is a little sharpening, and resized it for the forum, otherwise it's from the camera.)

I realise that this may be a slightly controversial area of discussion right now, and far be it for me to throw another spanner in the works, but I'm starting to get the hang of how it works in terms of verticals and horizontals, but can't quite figure it out for more circular images.

I've taken to drawing thirds grid-lines on my monitor screen in erasable felt tips its' become so confusing!!
Attached Images

Godzillza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:29 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

I'm no expert on the subject but the original you posted doesn't look bad to me, given the fact that you have the water disturbances as part of the shot alongside the flower. Just did a quick editas an alternaive with the water disturbances and the bud forming a 'sort of' diagonal. Don't know if this has any merit as I'm a bit of a philistine on such matters. :-)
Attached Images

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:40 AM   #3

Hi Godzilla,

I have been away for a few weeks so I am not sure what has been going on. So I will say what ever I darn well please! LOL

There are a lot of different options and as a consequence there is no real right or wrong answer. Everyone will have their opinion as to the how it should be done and for the most part they will ALL be right (except for the ones that disagree with me!:G)

Do you want to keep the flower whole or partial? What was it that captured your attention in the water? These are things that need considering.

For me I think I would crop the whole flower into the top left cornerand encompass the"water rings" in the bottom left of the frame.I did a quick crop that I have attached. (I hope you don't mind, easier than explaining) I like the whole flower and the reflection in the water. Then again maybe a partial flower would be more interesting.

In closing, I accept that you or other people may not agree with my crop. And that is okay. (We all have social problems, LOL, just kidding:blah I am sure that there is someone who can come up with a more creative spin.
Attached Images

shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:44 AM   #4

here is another possiblity which moves away from the diagonal that Steve and I have done.
Attached Images

shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:45 AM   #5

its a very nice shot

pleasing to the eye. I do like both the edits on composition. i too feel the orig composition is sinking thesubject. But both takes are good.

Nice capture.

Its unfortunate that there was a loss in detail in the flowers petals. Still the overall effect looks good

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote