Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:49 AM   #1

This is my dog Chip. He's a Labradoodle. And I pretty much support criticism so feel free to tell me what you really think.

littlekarnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:54 AM   #2

I have a Labrador and have heard of the new Labradoodle. Have not yet seen one until now. Have been very curious to as well. Well, he looks pretty cute. What more can you tell us about his character? I bet he takes a lot of grooming. I'm really pleased you posted this as I can now say I've seen one.

Regards,

Syd
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:11 AM   #3

that is a most hideous looking creature!

the dog's kinda cute, though. :lol:

just kidding, 'lil 'k.

imo, i believe a shot more in the lines of your avatar would be more worthy,

technique-wise, though the dog seems to have have a ton of character.

looking forward to seeing more of "chip"!

scot

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:46 AM   #4

Very cute!!!

I saw one of these outside the supermarket last week. He was black and massive.

How did you take the shot? laying down?

-Yazzy

Yazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:41 AM   #5

I think the image is over exposed and the bluing around the trees is distracting.

The subject is awesome and looks very good. "Pops out of the background" That is a good thing, but the background is well not that great.
kevin burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:55 AM   #6
Administrator

littlekarnick

Welcome to the forums.

Because of the difference in brightness between the foreground and background, the sky is blown (overexposed) as Kevin mention.

Due to the perspective you got from shooting at such a close range, the grass blades in front of the subject are also distracting.

I can't tell what camera you have. But, you might want to try shooting from a bit further away using more optical zoom so that the grass blades don't look so large in relation to the subject, and the background elements like the flowersdon't look quite as small in comparison.

To keep from overexposing the background, using a -EV setting with exposure compensation + fill flash may help out with future attempts if these features are available with your camera.

Unfortunately, a camera has a limited range of bright to dark that it's capable of capturing. So, sometimes you have to help out by more evenly lighting your subject.

Avoiding harsh lighting can help (for example, keeping the subject in shade). When you have a backlit subject (bright sky behind the subject), using fill flash can also help out sothat there is less difference in brightness between a subject and background.

Again, welcome to the forums, and we look forward to seeing more of your photos.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:07 AM   #7

I personally like foregrounds ie the grass. but in this shot the flash hit the grass hard. To conquer this with out having to use the EV "which also works great" as Jim mentioned, I stand back and tele zoom in so the flash is not so close/harsh the tele zoom also darkens the image ie raises the f number to a higher f number, to fix the background. Zooming in would also elongate the snout of the pooch giving a more powerful look to the overall finished image.

Camera shake is exaggerated in tele zoom so a steady hand is needed.
kevin burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:06 PM   #8

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
I have a Labrador and have heard of the new Labradoodle. Have not yet seen one until now. Have been very curious to as well. Well, he looks pretty cute. What more can you tell us about his character? I bet he takes a lot of grooming. I'm really pleased you posted this as I can now say I've seen one.

Regards,

Syd
He has A LOT of character, when he's not chasingtennis balls andbutterflies he's inside buggin everyone for attention. He loves attention and throws a fit if you ignorehim. And he doesn't take as much grooming as I thought he would. My dad trims his hair about once a month.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:13 PM   #9

E.S. Crawford wrote:
Quote:
that is a most hideous looking creature!
the dog's kinda cute, though. :lol:
just kidding, 'lil 'k.
imo, i believe a shot more in the lines of your avatar would be more worthy,
technique-wise, though the dog seems to have have a ton of character.
looking forward to seeing more of "chip"!

scot

Haha, this made me laugh. So many people see him and they're like "OMG what is that!?"Thanks fer the comment, i'll post more chip pics soon.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:19 PM   #10

Yazzy wrote:
Quote:
Very cute!!!
I saw one of these outside the supermarket last week. He was black and massive.
How did you take the shot? laying down?
I have only met two other people who have a Labradoodle and both were black. Chip was dark brown when he was a puppy, which is why I named him Chip (short for chocolate chip), but as he grew he started changing color. My older brother calls him chewbacca. And I did take the shot laying down.