Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:29 PM   #1

G'day there,

after your post in the "Crow" thread scot about shooting black cats, I thought I would put these two up for you to look at and comment on. Luckily for me I have a black cat

Ollie

Attached Images

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:38 PM   #2

G'day,

and here is the second shot which I like best

Ollie

Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:30 PM   #3

Gee Ollie, that first shot is a dead ringer for my black cat. Have never been able to get a decent focused shot of him - put it down to the colour and fine coat confusing the autofocus :?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:39 PM   #4

exactly the problem i have with shooting MY black cat, eddy.

great captures, ollie!

i like how you shot him in unconventional positions to bring out his (or her)

character.

here's eddy...

scot
Attached Images

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:14 PM   #5

Hey oliie

i think shot 1 is great. really like the stnace in the shot. cool backing andnice exposure

nice shot

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:20 PM   #6

Ollie,

You got some good ones here!

I like the composition on the first - the face is nicely on a third. Might like to have seen the rear end of the cat, too, but it doesn't detract greatly I don' think.

The lighting is generally good, though a blown out highlight on the back distracts slightly. But hey, what're you gonna do? it's a BLACK cat in sunlight - you exposed the subject perfectly, so not much more you can do... Maybe give it a run through CS2's shadow/highlight feature might tone it down a bit.

Gotta love the pose, too!

The second I like a lot, as well, and again, comp is good. I'd prefer to see the focus on the eyes, as well as the nose, so maybe a tad more DOF. Or if light wasn't permitting that, then the focus on the eyes with the nose blurred would have been more effective IMO. Tough call though with animals getting the focus just right. As soon as you have it, they move!

and the nose is very nice and sharp...

Best,

-Ben

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:27 PM   #7

Great cats shots guys! I myself do have trouble with black too. Birds, cats, cars, love the color but don't always get what I hope for.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 6:42 PM   #8

Not bad for a point and shoot.
kevin burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:26 PM   #9

G'day all,

thanks for the replies and comments, all greatly appreciated. As Mr Burns pointed it out they were point and shoot. And how could they not be. We all know how animals can get, once you think you have the shot they move.

So little info on both. The cats name is Mihn and she loves to just lay down on the floor as flat as a lizard. So for the first shot I got her in one of her favourite spots. She tends to startle easy at times so I took around 5 shots before she inevitable changed her pose. It might also help to know that that 1st shot was only cropped and no manipulation work done. And even the crop was only slight.

As for the second shot, that was taken when I walked past my window, which is one of those that wind outwards. And she was up on the window cill and happened to look through the side between the wall and the window and I snapped her. Cat can be rather inquisitive at times and this was one of those times. So the focus point wasn't intentionally her nose but that is what I got. Only got one shot of her this way as she rushed off back inside.

I believe taking pics of black cats and or other animals requires that the background and forground don't out contrast the main subject so that the black looks even blacker than it is. I did get somewhat lucky in my first shot with the sun light coming in from behind and the second was close enough to bring out detail. Had the second shot been taken from a metre away I think lots would have been lost in the shot.

Ollie