Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:36 AM   #1
Super Moderator

I took this shot last summer, but I'm still not sure about it, so I would value your opinions.

Syon House is situated a few hundred yards back from the Thames. Access is not easy, and generally you have to shoot from across the river on the Kew side.

Photo #2 will show the kind of shot one usually is able to get, with lots of foreground clutter and usually including the Thames.

One day from inside Kew Gardens, about a half-mile from Syon House, I happened across a large field of daisies and Sunflowers, but from the right angle, and with the camera about 6ft from the ground it was possible to use a telephoto lens to get Syon House at a good size in the frame and fill the foreground with out-of-focus yellow flowers.

A couple of issues that I still have with it - the house is on sloping ground in #2 and the sunflowers at an irregular angle, so although the house itself is perfectly level (check it out in photoshop using a grid if you don't believe me) it doesn't really look level.

The big separation between the sunflowers and the house does sort of make it look like I could have photoshopped in the flowers, though of course I didn't.

I do think perhaps it would have been better to get more of the vertical dimension of Syon House in the frame, somewhere in the middle between #1 and #2, but unfortunately I didn't have a ladder to stand on, I was already standing on a fold-up chair!

The question remains though, does it work for you?

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:37 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The more usual kind of shot one is restricted to is something like this, also with a medium-telephoto to cut out some very nasty-looking riverbank.
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:55 AM   #3

i lke the 2nd shot

nice b&w conversion. That gloomy look really suits the subject

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:59 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Ah thanks, actually I was hoping for feedback on shot #1, #2 is only there for reference.

I guess the fact that it is the one you commented on is an indication of how well #1 works though.

:O
Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:02 AM   #5

I can appreciate the effort you have put into this Craig, but for me it seems lacking in something. It's a well executed shot etc but . . . I can't put my finger on it. It would work great in a Kew Garden magazine as an illustration to the history of the place, the architectural significance etc . . . but not a stand alone image imo.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great shot undoubtedly.

Regards,

Syd
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:12 AM   #6

Very Nice Craig, I actually prefer the first. Although I generally prefer B&W for this type of shot, in this instance it looks a little cold and barren to me (Wuthering Heights type of bleakness)

I wonder if the first shot wouldn't in fact benefit from the flowers being given just a little bit more focus -I think it would bring the shot alive and breakdown that clear distinction between the two elements. Well worth persevering with IMO.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:07 PM   #7

Hey Craig...

My take on the first is that the flowers in the fore are too strong an influence. Unless you wanted it that way, I think they rob the structure in the background of a lot of attention.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:59 PM   #8

I personally prefer the B&W conversion, although the colour shot with the sunflowers is also very effective. You could probably sell them both to the House for their tourist brochures!

The B&W image is a little marred by the weird looking skip on the ground towards the right-hand side, and what looks like perhaps some scaffolding stacked against the pillar to the left - were they busy renovating do you think?
Godzillza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 5:20 PM   #9

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
The question remains though, does it work for you?

I would absolutely LOVE to see a version of this with the sunflowers in focus as well as the structure. :-)
buddhasghost is offline   Reply With Quote