Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:12 AM   #1

Another attempt at replication. Just makes me realise what goes into these shots. I don't think I've got it quite right when compared to Scot's blossom pics. Any tips/help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Syd
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:40 AM   #2

I like that Syd - gosh is that blue sky I see in the background? :G

If anything, the crop top right is a bit tight or cluttered as I'm seeing it. Lousy monitor I'm on here at home though. Looks as if you could edit out some of the clutter or make a wider crop.

For the rest, very cool and 'summery' - hope the blue skies continue for you.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:56 AM   #3

Very clear and nice looking. Is the light warm from setting sun or did you use a warming filter? Looks good, though. Only real criticism is composition is a tad busy. The blossom infocus is surrounded by too many others just outside focal range. Since these things generally come in clusters, you might try pulling back a bit and getting a cluster as your subject, instead of trying for a single blossom.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:00 AM   #4

Thanks Brian, yes the sun was just setting. I took a load of shots but they all looked pretty messy if you know what I mean. I used the blur tool on the background. I agree a cluster would have been better. It all goes to show me how these simple effective shots take quite a bit of working at.

Thanks again for your comments and advice, it's much appreciated.

Syd

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:09 AM   #5

Hello Syd,

This isn't a bad attempt. The blossom isn't isolated very well. Sometimes you have to remove nearby blossoms.

Around this time last year I began shooting flora for the first time and posting here on the forum to encourage participation. I'd post up my first attempt at a particular flower and consider all suggestions and then post another attempt the next day. Fruit blossoms were my favorites.

I found that shooting in the early morning hours worked best for a variety of reasons. Late evenings were my second choice. At first, I thought having the sky in the background would add something to the composition, but quickly learned that it usually didn't. I began to shoot at angles where the background was filled with green foliage or clusters of blurred blossoms.

Keep shooting this subject and please share with us.

Best regards,
Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:06 PM   #6

syd,

it amhaire mar caieag duine nas motha a' pogadh do mas' neo achd a rioghail pian!

slainte' mohr!!!

scot

p.s. sin gradhaish am urchair, too!

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote