Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 1, 2006, 6:59 AM   #1

An unposed shot of my daughter practising her handwriting. Need some ideas on cropping and composition.

Want to try to keep the roses on the left in the end result somehow to help give it some depth, but wonder if they detract greatly from her face? I'm visualising an almost square crop as shown in the second post, creating a diagonal from the top-left (rose down her face and arm to the fingers following her gaze,) but have issues with the resultant background.

What thoughts please?
Attached Images

Godzillza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 7:00 AM   #2

The starting point for my proposed edit...
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2006, 7:01 AM   #3

Oh, and the glass in the original contains sparkling fruit juice! Before anyone suggests otherwise... :-)
Old May 1, 2006, 7:59 AM   #4

Oh, very nice, indeed..
I'd suggest always keeping this glass containing sparkling fruit juice in sight(and for your further shots so as to inspire both the subject and the artist:lol and blurring the background. The roses do contribute to the theme, however you may decide to bring the glass nearer to the subject ,in the PS, still making use of the dark background provided by the door for accentuating the pleasing colour of the glass, and get rid of the distracting piece of lamp above. BTW, including the rest of the pretty lightsource, the lamp, by bringing it nearer to the subject along with the glass would also be another option. But then, the image could be a bit crowded, I fear.
See you next time!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 8:07 AM   #5

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
bring the glass nearer to the subject
Thanks for the kind words and suggestions Bahadir - much appreciated!

:idea:and for the brilliant suggestion!

How exactly can I go about bringing the glass closer to her in PS?? I never even considered doing that, just chopped it out because of that irritating lamp shade above it on that side. I'm intrigued that I could manipulate the image to the degree of moving the glass closer to her and keeping it in the shot. Please tell me more.
Old May 1, 2006, 9:01 AM   #6

Open the image in the PS. Zoom in (to do this, click View on the top of the page) for working more precisely. Select the glass with the magnetic lasso tool (remember you can prees the space bar continuously to pause selecting to bring the rest of the image into sight and bring the curser back where you left to go on as you release the space bar)
Once when you finish selecting to see the white ants walking around it (you can left click on the section if you cannot see these ants)!! Then go select the Move tool just above the Lasso tool. Come back to the selection and move it wherever you like! Or you can either click on the Lasso tool again after slecting and then come back to the selection right click on the image to choose Layer via copy and then finally come back to the selection if you are intending to move the copy of the selected item, without cutting it. Of course this is my way. I am not a PS guru. Can only enjoy some basics I am capable of, that's it. I hope you'll enjoy too :-)
Old May 1, 2006, 9:35 AM   #7

Well, sth like this..just a sketch to give an idea, so please ignore the faults :-)
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2006, 10:22 AM   #8

Wow! I get the idea now. Thanks so much for this idea Bahadir - I'm off to see what I can do with it myself....