Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 1, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1

While photographing on an abandoned Island, there were two Ospreys making a nest. There was One Osprey Nest that was being built there, which I took a liking to. He kept swooping down, & looking at me while I was taking his picture. I must have taken about 60 shots of the Ospreys and their nest, while being a safe distance away with my zoom lens.* I think he was glad to see me finally leave!! Well I thanked him for the photos, now he could nest in peace. I am now, & have always been following 1 CRUCIAL Wildlife Rule. Whether I photograph birds, dogs, or any other animals, WILDLIFE SAFETY ALWAYS COMES FIRST...* ENJOY!
Attached Images

PHOTO-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 11:21 PM   #2

beauty of a shot!

i've osprey, gold and bald eagles all around me but as yet not been able to capture a single one.

i wouldn't change a thing and be mighty proud of this picture!!!

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 6:07 AM   #3

Hello Scot,

Thank you for the comments, I would like to get back out there and shoot some more of these birds they are amazing.

Kevin
PHOTO-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 8:43 AM   #4

that is a beautiful shot, nice detail and action capture in the osprey and great composition. and the blue sky is magnificent . where was this abandoned island?
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 9:55 AM   #5

Yes the Photo is good, but at what cost.

With all the noise and swooping, did it occur to you that stressing this bird so may well result in it abandoning the nest and any eggs or young that may be there?
toy_car_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 10:31 AM   #6

trust me toy car.

i live less than a mile from two osprey nesting sites and there habits are far less fragile than you suggest.

in fact, a guy raped about fifty acres of forest within spitting distance from a well established nest and they stayed put.

so i doubt a few long distance photos are going to disturb these guys much.

once again, noice capture!

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 11:25 AM   #7

Scot, Instead of dismissing the point I raised please think about the impact of what you are saying or even spend a little time looking to to it.

Just as different humans will react differently in the same situation so will wild animals.

You may want to take a look at what
the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection say regarding Ospray nests

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/ensp/osprey_nest_plcmnt.htm

in particular the parts that state

sensitive to disturbance when they are laying eggs
Likely to abandon the nest if disturbance is too great
They will grow more defensive of the nest area when they have chicks.
It is important that disturbance remain low during this time as well.
Disturbance increases as boats stop nearby and people focus on the birds at close range.

A safe distance from which to observe Ospreys will vary depending on the area, but observers must stay beyond the distance at which the adults react. Their reaction must be judged as even their attention to the observer, not simply when they lift off the nest in defense.

If this had been in the UK, PHOTO-PRO would have broken the law by his actions.

Old May 2, 2006, 3:31 PM   #8

Hey toy__car__u.k.,
I need to interject here from the comments you made about PHOTO-PRO. I am now 43 years old, & I have been an Animal Advocate for over 25 years now. I AM THE BIRDLADY, everybody knows me, which means I am the most fanatic bird lover around. (I was threatened to be put in Jail, because I let pigeons land on me on the beach, I LOVE IT, but it is considered a hazard!!)

You� certainly don't have the slightest clue about the USA, as to what is legal here . The Rules should be Safety First for the birds (that would be for anywhere) as long as it'sdistance photography (shot a good long distance away with a ZOOM LENS for birds of this size.)

If you think that PHOTO-PRO is such a COLD-HEARTED PERSON, as to jeopardize any kind of wildlife, you are DEAD WRONG. On the contrary, he has saved many animal
lives, SERIOUSLY JEOPARDIZING HIS OWN LIFE & SAFETY. He is into the scene of what we call here in the USA, ANIMAL RESCUE.� A small example of the kinds of animals that he has not ONLY RESCUED & SAVED would be turtles, birds, dogs, horses, cats, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, etc.� He has a deep caring & considerate attitude towards ALL ANIMALS. You can either believe me, or you can go on about how UN-caring you think he really is.

(IF IT WASN'T FOR HIM, GEEZ, LET'S SEE HOW MANY ANIMALS WOULDN'T HAVE LIFE RIGHT NOW. )� I REALLY DON'T NEED TO GET INTO THE HORRIBLE DETAILS OF WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR THESE ANIMALS, HE HELPED. NUMEROUS TIMES, HE ABSOLUTELY PLACED HIS OWN LIFE IN SERIOUS DANGER TO SAVE THESE ANIMALS, BECAUSE SURELY, THEY WOULD NOT HAVE SURVIVED!!

I HAPPEN TO BE HIS WIFE, BUT LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING....YOU NEED TO THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE AS YOU DO. I WAS A WRITER FOR MANY YEARS, & YOU NEED TO GET THE FACTS "BEFORE" YOU POST ABOUT PEOPLE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT,
THAT INCLUDES� A VERY SHALLOW OPINION SUCH AS THE ONE �THAT WAS POSTED, JUST MAKES FOR FOOLISHNESS.

You SHOULD have understood that he has a CAMERA in his hand and NOT a shot-gun. Therefore, we are NOT HUNTERS, but have the highest regard for bird nests &otherwise. ANYBODY WHO SEES A PICTURE LIKE THIS, KNOWS THAT IT'S ALWAYS BETTER TO SHOOT AN ANIMAL WITH A CAMERA!! HOPE THE NEXT PICTURE YOU JUDGE HAS SOME REALITY TO IT, BECAUSE HE IS PUTTING UP SOME MORE BIRD PICTURES IN THE FUTURE. CRITICISM IS FINE, BUT NOT TO THE POINT THAT STATE THAT HE DOESN'T CARE ENOUGH TO BE CAREFUL WITH WILDLIFE. Do you know how far away this was?� ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM!! (LENS)

CHEERS from IMCRAZYABOUTPHOTOS� (THE U.K. ROCKS!!)
IMCRAZYABOUTPHOTOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 4:58 PM   #9

Quote:
You� certainly don't have the slightest clue about the USA, as to what is legal here & what isn't about distance photography.�
Nor have I ever claimed too.

Quote:
If you think that PHOTO-PRO is such a COLD-HEARTED PERSON, as to jeopardize any kind of wildlife, you are DEAD WRONG
I don't think that, nor have I implied that.

Quote:
UN-caring you think he really is.
Again I gave never made such a statment

Quote:
I HAPPEN TO BE HIS WIFE, BUT LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING....� YOU NEED TO THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE AS YOU DO.� I WAS A WRITER FOR MANY YEARS, & YOU NEED TO GET THE FACTS "BEFORE" YOU POST ABOUT PEOPLE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT, THAT INCLUDES� A VERY SHALLOW OPINION SUCH AS THE ONE THAT WAS POSTED, JUST MAKES FOR FOOLISHNESS.
Did you read the original post, before it was edited? Did you not see how any one coming to view it could get the impression that this bird was protecting its nest and the Photographer was disturbing the bird? Or had it already been edited by this point.

Quote:
You SHOULD have understood that he has a CAMERA in his�hand and NOT a shot-gun.� Therefore, we are NOT HUNTERS,
You do not need a gun to do damage, and at no point have I said you are hunters

Quote:
but have the highest regard for bird nests & otherwise.� ANYBODY WHO SEES A PICTURE LIKE THIS, KNOWS THAT IT'S ALWAYS BETTER TO SHOOT AN ANIMAL WITH A CAMERA!!�
Its a public forum, not everyone using it will know its is better to walk away from the shot, than to disturb the wild life.

Quote:
HOPE THE NEXT PICTURE YOU JUDGE HAS SOME REALITY TO IT, BECAUSE HE IS PUTTING UP SOME MORE BIRD PICTURES IN THE FUTURE.� CRITICISM IS FINE, BUT NOT TO THE POINT THAT STATE THAT HE DOESN'T CARE ENOUGH TO BE CAREFUL WITH WILDLIFE.
I still maintain that the question I made was a vaild one given the wording of the orginal post, and this being a public forum that any one can view. It was a very real question. And at no point do I state he doesnt care enough to be careful with wildlife.

Quote:
Do you know how far away this was?� ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM!! (LENS)
according to the exif information the focal length is 80mm.

Now, I would like to know why did Photo-Pro edit the post completley changing the context after I made my post? Thus making my post appere to be completely out of context. I am sorry now I didnt quote the orignal text.

Why not just say in an answer "yes thats a valid point I was aprox X distance away using a Telephoto lens"?

If you wish to disscuss this further, please take a moment to carm down and lets do it in a civil manner with out all the SHOUTING and please get you facts right about what i have and havent said.

Old May 2, 2006, 5:03 PM   #10

Take it to PM folks! This is about the photo, not the photographer! Crit the image, not the image maker.

I reckon it's an awesome shot - well captured Kevin!
Godzillza is offline   Reply With Quote