Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 3, 2006, 4:38 PM   #1

Hi all,

It's exam-time here, so I haven't much time for photography recently...

Here is a shot of a fox at sunset in my backyard.

It was mid-evening, and the last of the light in the garden... I was at the long end of 500mm, and at ISO800 I think. The original was rather underexposed, but it was raw, so I could salvage to some extent.

PP has been a run through neatimage, shadow/highlight, levels edit, cloning and sharpening.

It's not very sharp at 100%, but not too noticeable when full-frame is seen.

Comments, critiques, suggestions all welcomed.

Best,

-Ben
Attached Images

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2

Very nice. Catching it with the light backing it up that way is great. I never seem to be able to get them to pose like that. What's your secret?

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:28 AM   #3

Thanks Brian,

The 'secret' is that we feed these guys every afternoon and evening, and that this is the mother, who currently has young cubs. The result is that she comes and waits expectantly in the garden!

So yeah, if you put leftovers out, especially at this time of year, they are more than happy to stick around.

Thanks again for the comment,

Best,

-Ben
Old May 4, 2006, 9:34 AM   #4
LT7

I suspected thet you were feeding it something to get it to sit and wait that way, Nice picture Ben!

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 1:43 PM   #5

Great capture Ben, shame you couldn't get a little closer to get a really crisp shot. I'm sure if you tried that then you wouldn't have had any shot. And the mother might have looked elsewhere for food. The only thing I might try, if the full fram allows, is to put her on the right hand third instead of the left so that she is looking into the frame and you don't have as much fence in the picture. I happen to know that you have a nice looking garden.

Nate
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 10:28 AM   #6

Hello all,

Thankyou for the comments and suggestions. Much appreciated as always.

Nate: sadly I don't think there's enough space on the original to put the fox on the r.h. third. Also, while I do have a nice looking garden, the stuff to the left of the fox is somewhat more distracting I think (concrete swimming pool surround and blue pool-cover)... might go for a portrait crop when I have time to mess with this though.

Thanks again!

Best,

-Ben
Old May 6, 2006, 11:37 PM   #7

I really like this photo Mate, great shot
loffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 6:32 AM   #8

What a wonderful capture! has the vixen got her den in your garden? if so what a treat it will be to see the cubs when they appear. As you know the fox population has grown in residential areas in the UK and its a daily occurance for my husband when he leaves for work at 5.30am to see 2 or 3 foxes scrounging for food in gardens along our street. IMO the picture is a tad bright, but this could be my monitor but thats easily rectified.:-D
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 7:47 AM   #9

So lovely, Ben. Showed it to my daughter who always asks for a house with big garden, too!! Please consider my edit attempt to make the fox stand out in the frame, as my admiration to your shot:-)
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 8:05 AM   #10

Loffles:

Thankyou for the encouragement

Barkerlass: I don't think the den is in our garden, but it's certainly not far away. The pair visit every day, often laying around in the garden waiting for us to bring out the food. We have had foxes around ours for years now, and always make a habit of feeding them. The last few years around this time of year we've had a pair coming regularly and they usually bring their cubs. This year they haven't yet brought the cubs out, but the vixen's been suckling them for a while (you can just about tell in the photo if you look carefully and are interested! lol), so we're hoping in the next week or two we get to see the cubs! I'll be sure to post a photo or two of them if I get any worth putting up for critique. Thanks for the comment on the brightness - I'll check that out when I have a moment at home.

Bahdir:

Thankyou for the edit, and the comments. I hope that your daughter will get her wish someday . I like the edit - it's subtle, but the fox does seem to stand out more than in my original. What did you do?

Best wishes, and thanks again to all.

-Ben